How’s my WINDOWS MAXIMIZE logic?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How’s my WINDOWS MAXIMIZE logic?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I cannot come up with a rational reason for the absence of the “Restore/Minimize/Maximize” capabilities in dialog boxes, especially the File Open/savEAs boxes.

Windows applications have there Alt-menus at the top left corner and the tiny buttons at the top right.

Why not provide the harassed user with a means to make dialog boxes go full-screen and allow those superb sensory devices, eyes/brain, to operate at an optimal level?

(signed) “Just Thinking” of Bonavista

P.S. Not that I am Draconian or anything, but I would have designed Windows to use ONLY maximized windows, so strong is my belief in the speed and power of our eyes over that of our finger/hand/wrist/arm/elbow/shoulder muscle contraptions. C.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: How’s my WINDOWS MAXIMIZE logic?

Post by HansV »

In Windows 8, Microsoft experimented with making (most) windows maximized, but the interface was universally disliked...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:In Windows 8, Microsoft experimented with making (most) windows maximized, but the interface was universally disliked...
Probably because everyone else is addicted to the mouse.
But there again, maximised windows/dialogs make even more sense when using the mouse.

Thanks Hans.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I cannot come up with a rational reason for the absence of the “Restore/Minimize/Maximize” capabilities in dialog boxes, especially the File Open/savEAs boxes.
You can maximize Save dialog boxes quite easily by double-clicking on the border, or by keyboard ALT-Space-Maximize. You can also maximize some other boxes and software via the Task manager, such as the Calculator, but why. :smile:
20191018_Calc.png
ChrisGreaves wrote:Windows applications have there Alt-menus at the top left corner and the tiny buttons at the top right.
See, you already knew half the answer. :grin:

(Your questions seem like something for Raymond Chen at Microsoft. :smile:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:You can maximize Save dialog boxes quite easily by double-clicking on the border, or by keyboard ALT-Space-Maximize. You can also maximize some other boxes and software via the Task manager, such as the Calculator, but why. :smile:
Argus, thank you for sending me off into another dimension.

Firefox 69.0.3(64bit) maximizes the saveAs with either the right or the bottom margin. I found I had to dclick the application bar to restore the dialog.

Word2003 maximizes the saveAs dialog with a dclick to the top bar, as is done with any document or application window. Why didn't I think of that (don't bother answering that one!)

I will now soak up any spare time by using dclick all over the place.

For twenty years I have been using that application bar as a bigger target than the tiny buttons, if I had to use the mouse (in class for example) and Alt-Space then X when no-one was watching.

Now of course I find that Alt-space and X works just fine in Firefox saveAs dialog.

What is going on? I suspect that because I did NOT see those tiny buttons in the dialogs, I assumed that no maXimize capability was available.
I want back all the hours I have spent dragging dialog borders down and right, and sometimes diagonally down-and-right. Grrrrr!

Thanks again, Argus.
Chris