Windows 8.1, classic shell, DESKTOP

uncle
3StarLounger

Windows 8.1, classic shell, DESKTOP

Post by uncle »

Am trying to get used to new Word (2019)on new computer and cannot figure out how to get to Desktop screen. When working in a document and, with screen minimized and click on visible part of Desktop, nothing happens. I know I can click Show Desktop from Notification area, but that's double clicking.

Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 8.1, classic shell, DESKTOP

Post by HansV »

I have no experience with Classic Shell. Does the keyboard shortcut Windows key + D work?
Best wishes,
Hans

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Sorry to say, using an old, but loved, IBM keyboard.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In that case, I hope that someone who uses Windows 8.1 and Classic Shell can help you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Would these be of any help?

Open RUN dialog box and type the following command: regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32.dll
It'll restore the Show Desktop icon in the Quick Launch toolbar. You'll need to show the Quick Launch Toolbar if it is hidden.
Also, you might need to restart your system to take effect.

Another option:
Add a desktop icon to the taskbar (which is more accessible than the bar on the extreme right at the notification area).
How to add a "Show Desktop" icon in Windows 10, 8 or 7 Taskbar
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My mother's laptop runs Win 8.1 (updated from Win 8.0) but it doesn't have Classic Shell nor does it have any version of Office on it so I have no wisdom on your specific problem.

Having said that, when the laptop boots it opens on the Desktop (I've a feeling there's a setting somewhere in win 8.1 that I ticked to make it do that but it was years ago when I set this laptop up so I can't remember). Once it has booted and reached the desktop it behaves pretty much as you'd expect any Windows PC to behave. Open an app by double clicking on an icon on the desktop, or via a single click on an icon that's pinned to the Taskbar. Close the app and you're back at the Desktop.

It does 'go funny' if you click on the Start button, whereon you get the full screen Start Menu that's pretty much unusable but pressing the Escape key takes you back to the Desktop and sanity is restored. Also, if you move the mouse to the extreme right of the Taskbar then various options slide out, which is not something you get in other version of Windows. That slide out is useful though. It contains an search function and a short cut to the Control Panel.

Which a long way of saying, if I were you I'd ditch Classic Shell and learn how to use the native Win 8.1 interface. Yes, Win 8.1 is a bit different to Win 7 but it's not a million miles from it. To my mind, using Classic Shell may make Win 8.1 look more familiar but at the same time it's forcing Win 8.1 to behave in a way it was not designed to work so who knows what problems might stem from that. That is almost certainly far too cautious a line as there will be many many users out there that use Classic Shell without any problems whatsoever but although it's uncomforatble to move on from the familiarity of an old interface, I'd advise anybody to embrace the new.

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

One can always right click the Task Bar and select "Show Desktop".

Or even just minimize Word and the desktop will be shown
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Thank you, Rudi. Exactly what I was looking for.

And to all responders, I thank you, too.