Task Scheduler – batch off/on specific tasks?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Task Scheduler – batch off/on specific tasks?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TaskScheduler01.png
This should strike fear into all our hearts: I have been exploring Win7HP Task Scheduler and am contemplating A Few Harmless Changes™.
Specifically, I notice my hard-drive full-on for about five minutes after a reboot, and figure that Windows is busy telling itself how important it is.
More specifically I see tasks that are Enabled to report errors back to Microsoft. And to report performance and efficiency.
I believe that Microsoft does not care a rats regurgitated repast about me or my system. Not twelve years later.

Mouse-clicking my way through the list, one by one, to read the description, make my own decision Enable/Disable, click, click again etc is boring and
repetitive.

(1) Does there exist an easy-to-read list of this host of tasks. (If not I could make one, one time task)
(2) Can such a list be modified to make a script or batch file of some sort. (probably YES)
(3) What sort of command would I have to issue – either DOS cmd or Wscript command – to read & report the status (en/disabled) of each task.
(4) What sort of command would I have to issue – either DOS cmd or Wscript command – to (a) disable and (b) enable a task.

It seems to me that a batch job to disable a set of tasks would allow me to observe my re-booting and, should terror prevail, enable them back again.
A System Restore will provide a means of re-enabling to a set state, and I should make a restore point before starting, but a batch/script file that would let me mess around for an hour or so would be a lot faster,
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 02 Nov 2019, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Task Schedulern – batch off/on specific tasks?

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:This should strike fear into all our hearts: I have been exploring Win7HP Task Scheduler and am contemplating A Few Harmless Changes™.
:scream: :shocked: :hiding:
ChrisGreaves wrote: (1) Does there exist an easy-to-read list of this host of tasks. (If not I could make one, one time task)
(2) Can such a list be modified to make a script or batch file of some sort. (probably YES)
(3) What sort of command would I have to issue – either DOS cmd or Wscript command – to read & report the status (en/disabled) of each task.
(4) What sort of command would I have to issue – either DOS cmd or Wscript command – to (a) disable and (b) enable a task.
Try schtasks (info: schtasks /? and schtasks /Change /?).
(In the final and last version of Windows (10) one can also use Get-ScheduledTask (and other commands) in Powershell, not for us in Windows 7, I think.)

Woody (at askwoody.com), and other people write about this at times, such as with the July patches and in September.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... tches.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.howtogeek.com/428265/window ... telemetry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there are some lists out there if you do search (similar to "Windows 7" telemetry tasks list), but I would be careful relying on random posts in forums, and especially using scripts. I've disabled some manually.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.