Chris says to say hello

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Chris says to say hello

Post by BobArch2 »

This morning's (Sunday, Sept. 8) weather reports gave an indication that there was a revised wind warning for Bonavista. I decided to telephone Chris and had a pleasant chat for about 10 minutes. He is doing well and really enjoying life in Bonavista. I revealed to him that a few members here are wondering if he is OK since he has not been connected for over a week. He indicated that he is enjoying life too much to be connected ... or something along those lines! :laugh:

He is still having Wi-Fi connection problems at the Café and has tried many approaches, to no avail. Other problems (tech related) have cropped up which he is trying to resolve. And, just to keep you suspense, I will let Chris explain when he eventually gets back online! :hairout:

P.S. Chris our weather forecaster in blustery Bonavista reports that all is well.
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Chris says to say hello

Post by BobH »

Bob, thanks for that. I just tried to call Chris but was diverted. Perhaps the storm created problems for the cell network.

I'm very glad, and relieved, to know that all is well with him.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobArch2 wrote:He indicated that he is enjoying life too much to be connected ... or something along those lines! :laugh:
Good to hear (or read, or something). :smile:

Tech problems, yes, sometimes one has to redefine "success".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, BobArch2! Good to hear that Chris is well.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX for the update Bob. Much appreciated.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:This morning's (Sunday, Sept. 8) weather reports gave an indication that there was a revised wind warning for Bonavista. I decided to telephone Chris and had a pleasant chat for about 10 minutes ...
Bob, thanks for relaying the concerns by phone, and it is good to hear your voice; always.
I composed the following test off-line but have only just got to a WiFi source. :-

Greaves blown away in Bonavista!

Friday morning I am on my bike, wobbling up the hill to the intersection of highways 232 and 235 (Confederation drive and Coster Road), then screaming down the other side, too fast to make any use of 5th gear, and a white Honda flashes by – Aletha honks at me and I wave – slowing down only when I reach the Confederation Building where the road is so pot-holed that you think it was laid in 1949, and I engage 1st gear just to crawl up the other side of the potholes - when a skinny yobbo in a bluish-grey car heading in the other direction yells at me “gotchayajahs!” and makes a U-turn as I make a U-turn, leaving us in typical newfie fashion still on opposite sides of the road yelling through passing cars, trucks, and back-hoes. Kyle: brings my groceries home from Swyers, and smiling Amanda who serves me coffee and gives me cheek in the café. I tell Kyle that the shed is open, and he says he’ll drop off my case of mason jars. That was Friday morning. Tuesday: I’m still waiting. But then, they are only preserving jars; they’ll keep. Right? I am blown away at people who honk, wave, call out. Friends.

My rain water trench survived Saturday night’s wind; the plastic sheet tore away a bit, but I fixed it up this morning with beading tacked along the top- and under-sides. I took away the “funnel” of plastic on the grounds that that serves only to catch the wind and spray water everywhere except in the pail. I am not worried. I have harvested about 45 litres of rain water, and we will have some steady soaking rain between now and the next drought. I am the only person in Bonavista who has non-scheme water delivered to my back door. Other users have to hop in the SUV and drive out to the spring on Elliston Road.

Bernard dropped a (pickup) truck of clippings yesterday evening, so I spent an hour or so this morning spreading them around the yard. It takes me but fifteen minutes to load the wheelbarrow with wet grass clippings. And it takes exactly the same period for the wind to spread the dry clippings from each shovelful across this one-eighth-of-an-acre lot. Grass clippings and leaves were plastered to the eaves of the shed from last night’s rain and wind.

Everyone except me has television and internet on a cable (until the wind blows down the lot), so there is a steady procession of fear-driven neighbours going door-to-door preparing for the worst: “I’ll give you a fifty-eight for a fifty-six”, “Swap you a thirty-three for a twenty-two” (this from someone who watches both internet AND cable television and believes the house will be blown not only down the street but across the street as well), and who sees how erratic hurricanes can be. This Hurricane didn’t go to Alabam, as predicted by one news guru.

My preparations? I spent Sunday afternoon putting 3-digit Dewey Classification labels on my thirty-six book shelves so I can lay my hands on any book in an instant. Actually, I always could lay my hands on any book in an instant, since there is little else but books lining the wall; it’s just that now I can get within co-ee of, say Geology instead of reading another book on the human mind by Steven Pinker. I have home-made bread, ditto jam, baked beans, meat sauce, several cans of sardines and can (sing.) of corned beef (there’s a song in that last phrase, somewhere). I have TWO beds made up, so I can spend twice as much time in bed as I normally would without washing jam off the sheets.

Also I have a fully-charged smart phone so I can play chess any time I want, once I find the pre-beginner level setting.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome back, Chris!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Glad to hear you survived the blow!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Glad to hear you survived the blow!
Thanks All,
It was nowhere near as bad as it sounded. Strong winds, yes, but apart from my Brussels sprouts stalks getting knocked down, nothing major.

Mind you, about the only plants that sprouted/grew this summer was Brussels sprouts, so you could say my entire crop of vegetables as wiped out.
Even though no sprouts had yet formed on the stalks before they ...

Bottom line: This entire season has been a bigger disaster than the overnight blow.

Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Seems the wind blew you back in our direction.
Welcome back from me too. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:...Welcome back from me too. :grin:
Thanks Rudi; I wasn't really gone as much as I continue to depend less and less on Internet. At least, in the sense that I don't feel the need to be online every hour of the day (hence no Internet connection at home), only three times a week, then maybe only twice a week. Then, in Bonavista, if it is raining today, I'll go tomorrow. Of course, if the day is fine I'll be gardening and will do WiFi tomorrow ... so the days slip by.

I am busier now than I was when working for money!

Cheers
Chris