Indexing + Properties

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Indexing + Properties

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, both my pc's have one built-in HDD. Both are partitioned to C:Drive & D:Drive.
Neither of the 4 are allowed to have contents indexed, as I very rarely search for anything.
My PNY 32gb thumb drive is allowed to have contents indexed, yet is very slow in reading the content. It is in FAT32 format.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Indexing + Properties

Post by StuartR »

I thought that Windows 7 wouldn't index a removable drive, are you sure that this is indexed?

Did you have a question, or is this just an observation that you wanted to share?
StuartR

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Roadrunner,

FAT32 is the culprit. Try reformatting it to NTFS which is the better choice.

I recently compared copying a file time between FAT32 and NTFS and the NTFS format won. I was also using Windows 7.
Regards,
John

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Roderunner wrote:...My PNY 32gb thumb drive ... is very slow in reading the content. It is in FAT32 format.
As you've not answered Stuart's question I don't know if you are actually asking a question about why this drive is slow but in case you are asking such a question I'll offer the following as an idea.

I think you've mentioned elsewhere that this is a very old USB device, in which case it could be that it is slow because it only supports the slow data rates of USB v1.0. See here for a comparison of USB versions and their data rates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

To StuartR, John & Ken.
My apologies for not replying to StuartR, I realised the time was when I should have been at my bowling club for 0830 for a 0900hrs all day competition start. Only won one game.
My original post was intended as a question. All my HDD's have a recycle bin except my 3 thumb drives, and thought that could be why indexing & properties ar not remembered.
All my thumb drives are usb 2.0. The one I was enquiring about is my latest purchase it's a PNY 32gig in FAT32 to be able to be read in my car. It has 158 folders of music in ml3 format, some have sub folders. It takes ages to get read on my Desktop PC no matter how often its attached.
My other 2 thumb drives are in NTFS 4gig & 8gig usually with very few folders on them. All are alowed to be indexed.
RR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

So I was wrong about the age of the USB drive. In which case, didn't this thread:
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32757
establish that the drive was almost certainly corrupt?

You could try reformatting the drive to see if that helps but if a USB drive has gone bad there is usually only one real fix, bin it and buy a new one.

Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

stuck wrote:So I was wrong about the age of the USB drive. In which case, didn't this thread:
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32757
establish that the drive was almost certainly corrupt?

You could try reformatting the drive to see if that helps but if a USB drive has gone bad there is usually only one real fix, bin it and buy a new one.

Ken
Hi Ken, I think it was formatting that caused the problem if you read my other thread it should explain things.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hi George, if you put a tick in the top box of 'Folder Options' View tab things will load faster on your stick usb.
You can return to normal when done.
Ted.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Roderunner wrote:...if you read my other thread it should explain things.
I did, it doesn't, at least not to me.

The post you point to is not about formatting the drive, it's about Windows telling you the drive is corrupt and offering to try and fix it. Windows told you it needed to be repaired because, as Hans pointed out in his post, i.e. the second one in that thread:
HansV wrote:From the first screenshot, it looks like the thumb drive is corrupted (look at the folder size and the weird characters). I'd ditch it...
However, from your subsequent experience it is clear that the scan and repair did not fix the problems.

Thus I say again, you could try reformatting the drive to see if that helps but if a USB drive has gone bad there is usually only one real fix, bin it and buy a new one.

Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Ken, sorry you or I failed. Me to give a clear description of the thumb drive.
My PNY 32gb thumb drive has only been used on my HP Desktop pc to use MP3Tag or copy music folders to it, all seemed to have gone well.
It was only when I attached it to my Laptop and got the message from Microsoft Windows that things seemed to improve. As in my images RR.png (178.07 KiB) and RR2.png (27.7 KiB) on the link I gave you.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Ted Myers wrote:Hi George, if you put a tick in the top box of 'Folder Options' View tab things will load faster on your stick usb.
You can return to normal when done.
Ted.png
Hi Ted, really good advice. Now I can hover my cursor over the folders to look for errors that have appeared 3 times, without waiting for the pc to read the folders. My thumb drive is being used at present and will recheck it for errors in a few days.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.