Explorer - skip to drive letter?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Explorer - skip to drive letter?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

When the left-hand ("folder ") pane is active, tapping the letter "W" sends me to the next visible (i.e. parent folder is expanded) folder that starts with the letter "W".

Is there a way to use a single keystroke to jump to a drive letter?

Ideally for me the drive W: would be treated just like a folder, because I have used SUBST to map drive letters to common folders (thus W: is synonymous with "T:\Greaves\Admin\Domains\" a.k.a. my Web pages). That is, if there were some way to have Windows jump to folders and drives starting with the letter I'd be delirious ...
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Explorer - skip to drive letter?

Post by HansV »

Eileen's Lounge wouldn't want to be responsible for one of its members being delirious... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I'm afraid I regard the use of SUBST in much the same way as the Computed GOTO in Fortran, and as did Niklaus Worth/Edsger Dijkstra in their "GOTO statement considered harmful" for Basic, so I would not wish to perpetuate its use.

Why don't you use shares, and NET USE x: \\PCname\sharename instead?

And anyway you should be using xplorer2 instead of Windows Explorer (you will be ever so grateful when you migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7!)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Go to Administrative Tools > Disk Management...

What are your drives named? If you select Properties, you can name them anything (reasonable) you want. So for example, Drive C: can be "1", Drive D: can be "2" etc, and hitting '1' in Explorer should make you jump to the root of C:, hitting '2' the root of d: etc.
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:Go to Administrative Tools > Disk Management... If you select Properties, you can name them anything (reasonable) you want.
Thanks Leif.
On my system it appears possible to rename my C: drive to be CDrive, but not possible to rename any of the SUBSTituted drives.
I essayed too in Explorer.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Why don't you use shares, and NET USE x: \\PCname\sharename instead?
Because up until now none of my su-peer-iors told me to!
But thank you for the shove! :grin:
I have used Net Share in my boot-up sequence. My "Fakes.bat" (attached) is a legacy from my XT days.

The command

Code: Select all

SUBST W: "%Drive%\Greaves\Admin\Domains"
is replaced with

Code: Select all

net use W: \\Laptop\LapT\Greaves\Admin\Domains /persistent:no
This works, but I now wonder whether you can nudge me over the edge and get rid of the pesky description "Domains on 'Laptop\LapT\Greaves\Admin'", bearing in mind that I really want it to say "Webpages"?

(Later) I rebooted and found I'd partially-solved my problem. I rebooted because I tried to rename the NET USE mapped drive from "Domains on 'Laptop\LapT\Greaves\Admin'" to "Webpages", found that worked, couldn't Undo the rename, so rebooted. Argh! the name has STUCK so now I don't HAVE that problem; but I'm sure it will come back.

The new command "net use W: \\Laptop\LapT\Greaves\Admin\Domains /persistent:no" when first used produced a name "Domains on 'Laptop\LapT\Greaves\Admin'", where Laptop is the computer name and LapT is the share drive name.

(later still) Let's keep this post just for the record; no need to reply yet. I've waded through a few web pages on the use of Net Use (where I found Persistent) and may yet come to understand what I'm doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I'm not quite sure where you're getting that "Domains on" message from, so I will simply say that /persistent:no may be abbreviated as /p:n, and similarly with yes -> y ...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:I'm not quite sure where you're getting that "Domains on" message from,
Thanks John.
Me neither!
I'm going to run with it for a few days and see what happens.
I reboot first thing each morning, and occasionally during the work day.
I also do registry cleans etc., so in the normal run of events a reboot never knows what might hit it!
Right now it is set up perfectly for me, and a "W" takes me straight to drive W: :thankyou:

I can, of course, start by gingerly replacing the SUBST statements one by one; that will give me fresh pastures to gambol in. Or gamble, as the case may be ....
4.JPG