Firefox 66.0

BobH
UraniumLounger

Firefox 66.0

Post by BobH »

Just got the 66.0 release installed when I restarted Firefox.

I didn't get a link to Release Notes.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 66.0

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

There are not many comments about changes in new releases nowadays. (I guess some would say that there are no major changes.)

Yes, release notes, I don't think you get a link per se, Bob, it's there at the download page, or in the About dialogue (Help).

:cranky: mode.
It seems a lot is going in a not preferred direction.* What is the point of adding a search box (whatever is the default) to the otherwise rather empty private browsing page?

Maybe I have a very odd modus operandi, but I prefer to use the address bar as that; if I type anything there, it is to direct the browser to a certain page (if needed searching bookmarks, history, whatever, or already open tabs). I don't want a typo to end up in a search engine. And if I want to search for something, I go to a search page via bookmarks or address bar. Simple.

It's possible that not many use private browsing "mode"; I use it at times to avoid clutter in History. Now there is a search box on the private browsing page; typing anything there and it will be moved to the address bar and off to a search page (as the search box disappears on the private browsing page) ...

Well, the address bar still works as it used to do. And I understand that many don't use bookmarks, they "Goggle" everything. An empty page is still an alternative in normal mode.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/6 ... easenotes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Improved search experience:
Find a specific webpage faster when you have a lot of tabs open: You can now search within all of your open tabs from the tab overflow menu
Easier search via a redesigned new tab in Private Windows
https://techdows.com/2019/01/mozilla-ad ... ghtly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* (And moving cookie settings, together with tracking settings, to Content blocking in Fx 63 made settings more complex, or spread out between Content blocking and Cookies and Site Data sections.) :igiveup:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:Now there is a search box on the private browsing page ...
browser.privatebrowsing.searchUI
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.