default save "when I close the lid"?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

default save "when I close the lid"?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Windows 7, but there again ...
Control Panel, Power: I see the options for “what happens when I close the lid”, variously shutdown, sleep, hibernate, etc.
What I cannot ever recall seeing is a default “save anything that is open before shutdown/sleep/hibernate”

This as an option would make sense to me. Being able to close the lid and run in a panic, knowing that all my work had been written to disc, being able to close the lid before lying down for an afternoon nap or attending a meeting (much the same thing).
Has any version of Windows ever had such an option?

I know that sleep and or hibernate save the state of RAM memory to disc, but to the paranoid there’s nothing quite like knowing that the document(s) have been saved under their original file names.

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: default save "when I close the lid"?

Post by HansV »

There is no such option as far as I know.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:There is no such option as far as I know.
Thanks Hans.
(For those of you new to Eileen's Lounge, "There is no such option as far as I know." translates to "There is no such option.")

Cheers
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Chris,
sleep and or hibernate save the state of RAM memory to disc
Yes, BUT, it is to the temp area and NOT save the open documents (files) that have NOT been saved from within the program.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

If you choose to shut down, most programs that write data to disk files will save any unsaved data as part of closing the program. The sticking point is that most (certainly all Office programs) will display a prompt asking whether you want to save, and won't allow a shutdown until you answer the prompt. Catch-22. You might as well just visit every running program and manually save before closing the lid.

I suspect there may be a way to combine Task Scheduler and some fancy batch file programming (or PowerShell in later Windows versions) to do the job, but that's above my (retired) pay grade.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:es, BUT, it is to the temp area and NOT save the open documents (files) that have NOT been saved from within the program.
Hi Dave, I agree. That's why i was thinking of a "save files" device, rather than a "preserve memory".
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:... The sticking point is that most (certainly all Office programs) will display a prompt asking ...
Hello Jay. Yes, that has been my remembered experience.
For example, running on battery at the library, shutting the lid, and at home four hours later opening up and finding an array of prompts!

I shall put this down to a deign flaw in the Windows Control Panel Power options (grin!)
Cheers
Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:[I shall put this down to a deign flaw in the Windows Control Panel Power options (grin!)
I'm quite sure Microsoft do deign to think think their software fit for all purposes :grin:
Leif