Limitations in Microsoft Office for Home and Business

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Limitations in Microsoft Office for Home and Business

Post by Diana van den Berg »

Other than not containing Access, what are the limiting differences between Word, Excel and Powerpoint in Microsoft Office Professional and Microsoft Office for Home and Business?

Thank you for any help.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Limitations in Microsoft Office for Home and Business

Post by Rudi »

I don't think there are limiting differences between (or within) the applications, barring the sharing/collaboration options and cloud options between the editions?! I couldn't find details or links that drill down to the application level regarding differences in the editions. In addition, I couldn't believe how difficult it was just to pull up a comprehensive comparison table for the Office Suites?

All I could find was these links...
(Between them should be all the info you need re. their differences/pro's/con's)

- https://products.office.com/en-ZA/buy/office (view more by clicking on the PRODUCTS link, top left corner)
- Choose your Office Click between the For home or personal​ | For business | For students and educators | For Mac Links across the top...
- A small comparison chart (Office 2013)
- Office 2016 Versions and Comparison
- Microsoft Office 2016 From Wikipedia

Hopefully some of our MVP's can contribute regarding additional differences within the apps.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There IS a difference between the stand-alone version of Office 2016 and the subscription version Office 365 - the latter gets updates and new features monthly.

But the versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint in different editions of the stand-alone version are the same. They have the same functionality.
Best wishes,
Hans

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Post by Diana van den Berg »

Rudi wrote:    
I don't think there are limiting differences between (or within) the applications, barring the sharing/collaboration options and cloud options between the editions?! I couldn't find details or links that drill down to the application level regarding differences in the editions. In addition, I couldn't believe how difficult it was just to pull up a comprehensive comparison table for the Office Suites?

All I could find was these links...
(Between them should be all the info you need re. their differences/pro's/con's)

- https://products.office.com/en-ZA/buy/office (view more by clicking on the PRODUCTS link, top left corner)
- Choose your Office Click between the For home or personal​ | For business | For students and educators | For Mac Links across the top...
- A small comparison chart (Office 2013)
- Office 2016 Versions and Comparison
- Microsoft Office 2016 From Wikipedia

Hopefully some of our MVP's can contribute regarding additional differences within the apps.
Thank you, Rudi for the links.
HansV wrote:There IS a difference between the stand-alone version of Office 2016 and the subscription version Office 365 - the latter gets updates and new features monthly.

But the versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint in different editions of the stand-alone version are the same. They have the same functionality.
Thank you Hans, so, if I understand it:
1. there is a Home and Business edition of Office 2016, that does not have Microsoft Access
2. there is a Professional edition of Office 2016 that does have Microsoft Access
3. the Home and Business edition of Office 2016 is considerably cheaper than the Professional edition
4. ANYTHING that can be done in the Professional edition of Office 2016 in Word, Excel and PowerPoint can be done in the Home and Business
edition

I am inquiring for an indigent student of mine, so 365 is out of the question because of the ongoing payments adding up to more than the stand-alone version in the long run. She and her husband will need to save up for the product, and I don't want her to be limited in any procedures that I have taught her or will teach her in the future, or that she will want to teach herself, having spent money that they cannot afford to be disappointed that they spent.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Office Home & Student Price and Content (This is considerably cheaper than the other two below!)
Home and Business Price and Content
Professional Price and Content

Hans confirmed #4 above.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Office 2016 Home and Student would be the edition to get - it' s R 1899 vs R 4499 for Office 2016 Home and Business, and R 5899 for Office 2016 Professional.
Home and Student includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
Home and Business adds Outlook to that (but the student could use Windows Mail or Thunderbird instead)
Professional adds Access and Publisher to that.

The versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint are almost identical in these three editions. A notable exception is that the Professional edition includes PowerPivot with Excel, and the Home and Student / Home and Business editions don't.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Not mentioned here, and probably of no interest then, but I think Professional also includes Publisher.

As for "Home & Student", it's not for "use in any commercial, non-profit, or revenue generating business activities".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.