Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found

Post by BobArch2 »

After upgrading to Windows 10 1803.17134.1 on 2018.04.30 the following message starting showing up in the Event Viewer...

"The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Subscription licensing service failed: -1073422333"

I have run both the Quick Repair and the Full Repair of Office 365 (Home) and the error message continues. I have researched the issue extensively and can find nothing suggesting that the Windows 10 1803 update is the culprit. I did have an auto update to Office 365 on 2018.05.10 (1804.9226.2126) and no relief. There was also a Cumulative update to Win10 on 2018.05.09 (1803.17134.48) and no relief.

My Office 365 Home account information on the MS site still shows my Office 365 as an activated application and is not up for renewal until December 2018 (5th renewal cycle).

My next step will be to contact Microsoft to ensure that the current Licensing error message does not cut me off 30 days after the message started appearing! :grin:

I thought I would check here first to see if anyone else has noticed this glitch.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found

Post by HansV »

There are many reports of this (or a very similar) error in various Office forums, not just for Windows 10 version 1803. As usual, there are several suggestions which help some but not others; in general it appears to be an irritating but harmless glitch.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:There are many reports of this (or a very similar) error in various Office forums, not just for Windows 10 version 1803. As usual, there are several suggestions which help some but not others; in general it appears to be an irritating but harmless glitch.
Thanks Hans.

I will admit that I never noticed this error in the Event Viewer for Window 10 versions prior to 1803 and I do monitor the Event Viewer on occasion to ensure problems are not occurring.

My research did point to this type of error going back a couple of years and no article ever came up with a real solution ... only suggestions. There were some comments from MS Tech Support (in prior years) suggesting it wasn't a problem and just learn to live with it. Not really helpful! :grin:

Considering that we both updated to 1803 on the same day 2018.04.30 (1803.17134.1) and that I believe you run Office 365, I assume you did not experience this error message in the Event Viewer?
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have Office 365, but a weird hybrid: a perpetual license click-to-run version. Since I don't have a subscription, I don't get the error you report.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have this event in my event log too. Once each day. I wonder if it could be one of the many settings in O&O Shutup?
StuartR

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Just spent a couple of hours with Level 1 and Level 2 support staff from Microsoft regarding the License issue.

Level 1 was very supportive, ran a Quick Repair of Office 365 (which I had already performed) but could not resolve the issue. The session was then transferred to Level 2.

Level 2 was also very supportive and ended up doing a Win10 1803 Run Inplace which reset the O/S to 1803.17134.1 (I was at 1803.17134.48). At first glance everything appeared to be OK ... issue resolved. I ran the Task Scheduler job related to the License and no error appeared in the Event Viewer. We signed off the support session and logged out of remote access. I had to fix my display settings to allow for the dual monitor setup and background theme.

Restarted the beast and ran the Task Scheduler job once again. Lo and behold the error message was back. There were two entries. The first being from the connection with Microsoft. It obviously did not post in the Event Viewer before I signed off with Microsoft.

So, the problem is still there ... I will learn to live with it and hope that a future update will correct the glitch.

Note to StuartR, I do not have O&O Shutup in my environment.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does the event occur when you (re)start Windows, or when you start an Office application, or randomly?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Does the event occur when you (re)start Windows, or when you start an Office application, or randomly?
There is one item in the Task Scheduler that runs the License check at one defined time during the day.

If the system is on at the defined time, the task is run and does not run again until the next day. Restarting the system does not cause another check.

If the system is not on at the designated time, it will run when the system is turned on.

The check is not performed when opening an Office app.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Does the error message occur whether the system was on at the designated time (so the task runs at that time) or not (i.e. it runs the next time the system is started)?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Thanks, Does the error message occur whether the system was on at the designated time (so the task runs at that time) or not (i.e. it runs the next time the system is started)?
Yes, the error message occurs whenever the trigger is run, whether via the trigger times or if run manually.

My desktop is usually on by 7:00 a.m. and turned off late evening (10:00 - 11:00 p.m.)

I had upgraded to Win10Pro 1803.17134.1 on Monday April 30th.

On Tuesday, May 1st, WinPatrol was advising me about some "new" starts pertaining to Adobe Creative Cloud, Logitech SetPoint and OneNote (all 3 of these items had been in my environment for a few years). I clicked on the "Always Accept" in the WinPatrol option each and very day they popped up. But the notices kept occurring every day. I spent the next few days uninstalling some some old programs. Finally on Sunday, May 6th, I got into the Event Viewer to check for errors. In the Warnings section I spotted the Office 2016 License error.

All the entries for that error were time stamped around 2:53 p.m. each and every day starting May 1st, the day after the upgrade.

I started to research for a solution on May 6th and that is when I performed both a Quick and a Full Repair of Office 365. The Full Repair changed the trigger's start time to 7:41 a.m. commencing May 7th.

Today, May 14th is when I contacted MS Support and the Win10 Pro Run Inplace update was performed. This action cleaned out all Event Viewer logs and started a new tracking. The trigger for the License showed a "last run date" in 1999mmdd and a "next run date of 2018-05-15 with a start time of 2:20 a.m.

As previously stated, I did run the trigger manually (2x) which again resulted in the error messages.

A few minutes ago I changed the trigger start time to 10:00 a.m. commencing May 15th.

Will see what happens tomorrow, May 15th. I am betting that the time stamp of the error will be around 10:00 a.m. plus a few seconds.

Hope all this makes sense ... :grin:
OSProp1.jpg
OSProp2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob