Operating System Learning

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Operating System Learning

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear community,

How to learn complete Operating system. For example we (like me most of the people) don't know all the options and its usage in windows. How many commands are there in CMD how to use properly likewise in linux when we use terminal there are so many commands. How to learn this kind of stuffs. I want to learn at least two operating system completely.Is there any course or web links. Kindly suggest me effective web links or free book materials. Thanks.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Operating System Learning

Post by StuartR »

I used to learn operating systems completely. This typically took me many years of training, with access to all the source code listings!
StuartR

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thanks sir. I am not a beginner. Moderate user. About more than 5 years i am learning Windows. But still i am not familiar in Registry editor and Group policy and Firewall in bound and Out bound rules. I have one doubt sir. For example if we want to change login window background we can do it in many methods. But while we do by regedit how they come to know, we need to create 32bit Keyword with particular name and we need to create a info folder in oobe folder then image should be in some size and particular default name. How they people come to know if we do like this windows can work properly. Because they are creating new one. Its not default. How do they know sir. To block USB and so many things they are doing with regedit. To do so we need to know the way of windows working. That's why i am asking sir. Working with windows files and this kind of stuffs. Could you please give me any ideas or suggestions?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I learned a lot about Windows by studying for the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) certification - but I see the acronym now stands for Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer. There are many training courses that you could take, depending on exactly what you need to know. My point in the previous post was intended to show that you need a clear focus on what you are trying to learn. You can't learn all about an operating system.

I am sure that there are people here who can recommend books on various aspects of Windows that you could read, but they are going to need a better idea of why you need this before they can give you helpful advice.
StuartR

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

You are right sir. I blindly asks to learn in curiosity. But i need to decide what and why i am really trying to learn. Jacks of all trades master of none. Thanks sir. I need some time. Thank you so much. You are really superb. First i need to think about it. But most difficult part is making a right decision :smile: :smile: :scratch:

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I agree with what StuartR has stated.
When I stared back in the DOS days, I got myself semi advance book, it was NOT the "Bible" level.
I did the same thing when I started using Windows and most applications.
BUT when playing around with some of the Advance items, I would suggest that you do this on a spare machine that does not contain critical data. If you do not have one, make an image of your system before you start playing around everyday.
This will allow you to rebuild your system within a few hours if you need to.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

DaveA wrote:BUT when playing around with some of the Advance items, I would suggest that you do this on a spare machine that does not contain critical data. If you do not have one, make an image of your system before you start playing around everyday.
This will allow you to rebuild your system within a few hours if you need to.
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much sir. Its very valuable tips. Because already i have lost whole data's few years back. When i am trying to convert the dynamic disk into basic disk by using CMD i lost my data within seconds :smile: Thereafter i am using to take a back up frequently. I have lost my data more than three times. Last time i posted that my USB shows that only 8MB. When i am trying to recover with many methods, I tried one third party application which recommended in one website forum i don't remember that application and website. My windows corrupted and i lost all my data's luckily i have a back up. But it took more than five hours to restore my system back. Any way thank you so much sir :thankyou:

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

StuartR wrote:There are many training courses that you could take, depending on exactly what you need to know. My point in the previous post was intended to show that you need a clear focus on what you are trying to learn. You can't learn all about an operating system.
Dear sir,

Now i clearly decided I want to learn about windows security related stuffs. Can we intrude into windows and if we want to do anything can we do it in background and how to prevent intruders. I want to learn this kind of things. Basically what i need to learn (Basic things) and what kind of course i need to study. Now please guide me sir. if i search online there are so many course advertisements only comes sir. i don't know which one i need to choose. You are already in this profession so i believe that you could help me better than others. Please suggest me books too sir :smile: I will read it sir. Thank you sir :smile:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I would start with some of the great material on the Microsoft web site, for example Windows 10 Security in Real Life
StuartR

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thank you so much sir :smile: I will watch all of these videos if i have any doubt i will ask you sir :smile:

mrjimphelps
NewLounger

Post by mrjimphelps »

BOOBALAN.V wrote:Thanks sir. I am not a beginner. Moderate user. About more than 5 years i am learning Windows. But still i am not familiar in Registry editor and Group policy and Firewall in bound and Out bound rules. I have one doubt sir. For example if we want to change login window background we can do it in many methods. But while we do by regedit how they come to know, we need to create 32bit Keyword with particular name and we need to create a info folder in oobe folder then image should be in some size and particular default name. How they people come to know if we do like this windows can work properly. Because they are creating new one. Its not default. How do they know sir. To block USB and so many things they are doing with regedit. To do so we need to know the way of windows working. That's why i am asking sir. Working with windows files and this kind of stuffs. Could you please give me any ideas or suggestions?
To do the things you are mentioning in Windows, it would be better to use Group Policy Editor rather than Registry Editor. I'm not certain, but I believe that Group Policy Editor is the same as Microsoft Management Console, which can be accessed by opening a command prompt and typing MMC [enter]. In Windows 7, you can also run it straight up in Windows without going to a command prompt. But for some reason, if you run MMC straight up in WIndows 10, you will get Hyper-V manager. You have to run the command from a command prompt if you want to run Microsoft Management Console in Windows 10.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

To use group policy editor on any version of Windows you should run gpedit.msc
StuartR

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Sir now i couldn't try MMC sir. I am not using domain network. I am just using personal system. It shows that there are no items to show in this view. gpedit.msc which is very useful. Sir you've suggested me a microsoft link. i watched that few videos sir. Anyhow if want to do anything we need to be having a some programming knowledge. without programming knowledge, i think, we can't do what we really want to do. I could be aware of that what are the possible ways to intrude, types of attack something like that i mean some basics. We could improve our knowledge that these are the possible ways to attack and we can prevent ourselves little bit. I don't think so that i can start hereafter. Already i completed my BE in mechanical engineering. It's very hard for me to take a decision and i am afraid to join a computer courses. I am thinking about my carrier. But thanks sir for supporting me and helping me.

Choosing carrier it's very important sir. Now only i realized :smile:

vnjdhd
NewLounger

Post by vnjdhd »

the best learning is trial and error