Cooking Doves

BobH
UraniumLounger

Cooking Doves

Post by BobH »

[I think it was DaveA who asked for this.]

Clean the bird preserving only the breasts. There are a number of different techniques demonstrated on YouTube.

After cleaning, rinse thoroughly and pat dry. I like to brine my doves to seal pores and retain moisture otherwise the meat can be very dry. I also like to marinate in a solution of soy sauce, lemon juice, buttermilk, a tiny bit of salt and ground white pepper. Overnight in a covered bowl in the fridge usually does it. Stuff with things you like. One of my favorite ways is to use a pineapple chunk with diced jalapeño and onion. Wrap with bacon and stick through with a wooden toothpick.

Different people have different ways of cooking from baking to smoking to grilling on the barbie (probably most popular way) or pan grilling. In any case cook to an internal temperature (measured by a good probe cooking thermometer) of 160°F. If grilling, I cook until the bacon is done and that usually is about right.

It's hard to get enough doves to use as a meat course. They are usually served as appetizers, as in dove poppers.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Cooking Doves

Post by DaveA »

They are usually served as appetizers, as in dove poppers
That is why I needed to see how they are prepared.
They have always been a very small bird in my book.
I have never lived were there is a hunting season on them.

Thanks for the heads up!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

OK! I'll be the one to admit that we are all reading poopers. Right! :crazy:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Come over Rudi and I will fix you some dove poppers and some jalapeño poppers, the latter stuffed with cream cheese and strip of sharp cheddar and wrapped in bacon then cooked until the bacon is done. You will not be able to stop with just one, I promise; and a dozen is too many. DAMHIKT
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I unfortunately developed the habit of feeding our backyard birds; so I am aware of the mess they can make. Hence the comment about the other type of poppers. Bob, though I can safely say I've never eaten dove, I can believe that those bite size poppers can be very nice. Is the recipe specific to a certain family (species) of dove or can it be other species too?
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The doves I refer to are mostly white-winged Mourning Doves though there are always many that do not carry the white wing marks. The white wing birds are a tiny bit larger. There is a smaller variety that usually do not fly with the regular and white wing birds.

Then there is the Rock Dove or what most of us know as the pigeon. We don't hunt them although I have known people to loose hawks in there neighborhoods as a means of control. We also see that as a means to control starlings, grackles and other black bird pests whose flocks grow to huge numbers if controls aren't used. Now these are definitely only poopers and never used for poppers.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

LOL! Thanks Bob.
Regards,
Rudi