How to boil water? - For tea.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How to boil water? - For tea.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

What I call regular tea is black leaves (Indian, Celanese and so on), dropped into a jar or jug of boiling water and left to steep for three minutes (or overnight if the current library book is really interesting).
At home I use an old Cottees (N.Amer “Smuckers”) Jam Jar, ¾ fill it with tap water, and nuke it in the microwave for three minutes, as did my mother, her mother before her, and for all I now my ancestral tree back to the time when Hereward Awoke.
The jam jar of water boiled, I tip a ½ teaspoon of tea leaves in and watch the super-heated water effervesce and cascade over the kitchen counter and down that gap between the counter and the fridge.
My second ex-wife, Canadian, used to brag “Up at the cottage we made tea just by putting leaves in a jar of water and leaving it in the sun”. With that kind of thinking you can see why she is one of my ex-wives.
But it made me think: Why not put my ½ teaspoon of tea leaves in the ¾ full jar of cold water and nuke them together for three minutes? The leaves end up in boiling water, don’t they?
And why do we boil water for hot tea anyway? (“If it was good enough for my father, it’s good enough for me ...”)
I can’t imagine that the boil-together method releases any more toxins than the add-to-boiling-water method.
And if this method is approved and works, I could extend the principle and cut down on the volume of super-heated coffee that dribbles between the fridge and the counter before I am wide awake.
If boiling the water merely accelerates the brewing process, why wouldn’t I just steep the leaves in tap water overnight, and then nuke just as much as I needed in my coffee mug?
(signed) “Brewding” of Toronto
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Re: How to boil water? - For tea.

Post by Cellmate »

What?!?! Shocked, I am, Shocked!

You boil your tea water? Say it ain't so. :scratch:

All the data, recipes etc I have ever encountered say heat the water to 195-200 F. Place tea in cup or pot, pour water over the tea and let steep for 3-4 mins, depending on desired strength. Never boil, never add tea to water, always add water to tea. :cheers:

Cellmate

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you boil tea, it tends to become extremely strong and tannic (I tried it - once :grin:).
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Your ex is not insane. It is called "Sun Tea" and is a good way of getting "iced" tea made, besides it does not heat up the house any more, as it is hot enough in the summer time as it is. It works better using a glass jug in lieu of a plastic one.

I find that bringing the water to a boil is much better than having warm tea. I like mine HOT or ICED, nothing in between.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Teadious... :fanfare: :flee:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote:All the data, recipes etc I have ever encountered say heat the water to 195-200 F.
But surely this would depend on the altitude, or more correctly, the barometric pressure?

Let's ask PJ, shall we?
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote: Never boil, never add tea to water, always add water to tea.
Also, now I reflect on the matter, isn't boiling a good way to drive off the chlorine and other gases found in municipal water supplies?
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:I find that bringing the water to a boil is much better than having warm tea. I like mine HOT or ICED, nothing in between.
I'm with you, Dave.
A pre-warmed mug, a pre-warmed tea-pot, ...
Although in my case, the jam jar comes to 212F by virtue of holding the microwaved water.
Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

What does an American Southerner know about proper tea, eh?

But being ignorant has never been an impediment to my rantings, either.

For iced tea - of which I've drank tens of thousands of gallons - making it in a gallon jar with tea or tea bags (usually Lipton) sitting in the Sun is the best method I've tried. Of course, I've also poured many gallons over an aggregation of tea bags let it steep very, very well then diluted it with tap water. You never, ever make just one glass of iced tea in the South.

For a cuppa - a habit (or affectation) acquired more than 50 years ago when I discovered (American) coffee soured my stomach - I eventually purchased an electric kettle that 'clicks' when the water reaches a temperature that boils at my altitude. I then pour it over a tea bag (Typhoo black) or a tea ball (various blends) in a cup with about 2 teaspoons of raw sugar (turbinado), let steep for a minute or two whilst swirling the bag or ball to encourage the sugar to go into solution, then remove tea and add milk to get the color I like. I probably drink 3 or 4 cups of this every day but must stop before 3:00 pm else I'm awake all night.

I'm open to learning new techniques from the experts.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

(Not assuming it's me) Just who are you calling a southerner?

I hail from Hanover NH, not exactly the "south" in the U.S.!

As to the temp vis a vis "boiling", boil away, but let it cool a bit before you dump it on the tea!

It's not rocket surgery.

Also, I am a huge fan of the iced variety! I drinks it all the time, summer ,fall, winter, spring!

No sugar. please. Lemon is a plus.

Cellmate

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Many years ago, I was dating a nice English girl. She and her parents made sure that I knew how to make tea. They give me, to start with, a very nice tea pot with cozy.
Boil the water, add small amount of boiling water to tea pot. Switch is around and get the tea pot nice and warm. Dump the water add tea bag (they liked Red Rose, from Canada) and then fill with boiling water. Cover tea pot with cozy, and let it brew. Get the china tea cups out and find the biscuits ready.
After about 5 minutes of brewing, pour tea in tea cups and cube of sugar, have a sit down and enjoy the tea and biscuits.

The parents found out that I did not have any china cups, so I was given a set of china dinner ware, including cups plated and bowls. I still them today.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Cellmate wrote:(Not assuming it's me) Just who are you calling a southerner?

I hail from Hanover NH, not exactly the "south" in the U.S.!

As to the temp vis a vis "boiling", boil away, but let it cool a bit before you dump it on the tea!

It's not rocket surgery.

Also, I am a huge fan of the iced variety! I drinks it all the time, summer ,fall, winter, spring!

No sugar. please. Lemon is a plus.

Cellmate
Well, I guess that Southerner is me! I'm American by birth and Southern by the Grace of God. I spent my first half century in Raleigh, NC and most of the next 25 in Texas except for a couple of years in Clearwater, FL.

My original American surname ancestor came to the colonies (VA) in 1634; so I guess I'm a descendant of a colonial Southerner as well. I have records showing that 2 great-grandfathers fought for the Lost Cause. One of them died. I've been unable to find records of my maternal g-g-fs, but I do know that they were of the age to have been in the Cause and were NC residents at the time. And, none of my ancestors ever owned slaves that I'm aware of after considerable family history research. They fought for the Confederacy because they identified more with their state than with the federal government and believed that joining the union was a rational act that could be legally rescinded. They also had no admiration for Lincoln.

As for iced tea, I, too, drink it year-round; but I like it very sweet and without lemon.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote:... but let it cool a bit before you dump it on the tea! ...
Why?
What's wrong with 212F at stp?
Cheers
Chris

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Why?
Cheers
Chris
Just the info I've gleaned over the years, 212F is too hot. I can't say it's right or wrong.

Was a time, in my late teens, when I was served a cuppa in a restaurant. I did not see the tea being made, but when it was delivered I asked a friend at the table if he/she saw the tea being made. He said "yes."

I said "Let me guess. The waitress filled the cup with water and then added the tea bag to the cup, right?
Yes! How could you tell?

During those years I drank a lot of tea. My favourite method was to heat the water, add loose tea to my handmade ceramic mug that I made in my high school art class and then add the water. Let the tea settle and drink. Best tea ever, for me.

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Why?
Cheers
Chris
Actually, I don't know what "stp" means...

Cellmate

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stp = standard temperature and pressure
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/stp-s ... d_772.html
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Opinions on the "correct" way to make tea vary wildly, and are often diametrically opposed.

For example, most people agree that "white" and "green" teas should be made with water of well below 212°F/100°C, usually about 176°F/80°C. However, some state that the water MUST be brought to a boil first, then left to cool for a few minutes until it reaches the desired temperature. Anything else will result in a disaster. Others state that the water MUST be warmed to the right temperature and then used immediately to avoid the tea being ruined, and in no circumstance should the water be allowed to become hotter than the desired temperature...

And then, of course, there is the dispute on whether the teapot should be rinsed with hot (or boiling) water first or not, and whether tea or water should be put in first.
And for the British, whether tea or milk should be poured into the teacup first...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Best method... (chipping in right at the end...)
  1. Put bag in mug
  2. Add boiling water
  3. Stir till bottom of mug disappears
  4. Add sugar
  5. Add milk
  6. Consume slowly and thoughtfully with a muffin, apple tart or cheesecake.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

1. Boil water
2. Use a little of the boiling water to warm the pot
3. Empty the pot and add loose leaf tea to the pot
4. Cover the tea with the now slightly cooled water
5. Stir the pot and leave to stand for a couple of minutes
6. Pour the tea, through a strainer, and drink it as is - with nothing added
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

StuartR wrote:- with nothing added
What!!!! No cheesecake or apple tart with that??? :drop:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.