Retaining video size/resolution

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Retaining video size/resolution

Post by AlanMiller »

I often find old TV & film video, which looks OK at its intended size/resolution, but pixelates to bits when shown full screen or blown up to fit a modern larger screen TV. I'm wondering if there is an application that might be able to "embed" the smaller (but watchable) clip into what would be effectively a black background/mask. It would mean a smaller picture on a big screen, surrounded by a big black border, but retaining the original picture resolution so that it's still watchable.

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Retaining video size/resolution

Post by Rudi »

Hi Alan,

The two very popular video players, namely Media Player Classic (MPC) and VLC Media Player can both be adjusted to prevent the video from fitting the window size.

In MPC, go to the View Menu and adjust the Video Frame settings to something that suits. In the screenshot you will notice the black border around the video which will reach to the TV edge.

Image 013.jpg
[/size]
In VLC, you can go to the Video menu and deactivate the default "Always fit to window". This will prevent the video stretching to the edges of the player. You can further adjust the zoom of the movie in the Zoom menu option.

Image 014.jpg
[/size]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks Rudi. That covers playback on a monitor. Now, if I could just reproduce a similar effect on my TV (which doesn't offer such menu choices) that'd solve it. This is why I thought of a permanent thick black border surrounding a reauthored version of a AV clip.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Argh...sorry Alan, I play many movies on my TV, but through a PC connected to it. So my TV is actually just a BIG monitor... I didn't think twice in compiling my answer as this is what I do all the time. :sorry:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Does your TV not allow you to adjust the aspect ratio? For example my Panasonic TV can display stuff in 4:3, 14:9 & 16:9, which means if I tune into an old show made before widescreen TV a press of a button on the remote will switch the picture to 4:3 and the image is no longer wide & fat and is displayed with black borders either side.

Ken

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:Add a Black Frame around your video on purpose! using Windows Movie Maker.
Thanks Hans. This might be the go. Will check it out.

Alan

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:Argh...sorry Alan, I play many movies on my TV, but through a PC connected to it. So my TV is actually just a BIG monitor... I didn't think twice in compiling my answer as this is what I do all the time. :sorry:
No probs Rudi. I found it difficult to explain, but I think the link Hans provided is on the money.

Alan

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

stuck wrote:Does your TV not allow you to adjust the aspect ratio? For example my Panasonic TV can display stuff in 4:3, 14:9 & 16:9, which means if I tune into an old show made before widescreen TV a press of a button on the remote will switch the picture to 4:3 and the image is no longer wide & fat and is displayed with black borders either side.
I have these features Ken, but I want the borders all round to make the picture smaller on my big screen. My TV (I guess yours too) will always stretch the video either to full width or full height. Either way busts up the quality for small low res old stuff.

Alan

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

AlanMiller wrote:...will always stretch the video either to full width or full height. Either way busts up the quality for small low res old stuff...
Can't say I've ever noticed a loss of quality but that's not surprising because my TV is only a 32", i.e. small by current models and the height of a 32" wide screen isn't that different to a 'big' 28" CRT 4:3 TV.

Ken