Video Size reduction

steveh
SilverLounger

Video Size reduction

Post by steveh »

Hi all

I have an MP4 recorded tutorial which is 81mb and too large for email, I have tried a few programs but they all seem to make it bigger and not smaller, does anybody use a free or cheap lossless video converter they can recommend?

Cheers
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Re: Video Size reduction

Post by HansV »

MP4 is a "lossy" compressed format, so any lossless compressed format will produce larger files. Do you really need to send the tutorial by mail? You could upload it to YouTube, or to any cloud service (Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, ...), and send a link to those you want to have access to the tutorial.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I agree with Hans. It is MUCH less effort to upload it to a file sharing site and then send a link to the recipient(s) than to attempt any form of compression on the file. The recipient(s) can view it from the source via the link or download it if they need a copy of it.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Thanks guys

Opened a channel on you tube but it seems to want to send out links rather than me telling somebody that a video is ready for them so I have started to build a web site to handle it.

Cheers
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

steveh wrote:...so I have started to build a web site to handle it.
Goodness...is that not overkill?

If on YouTube, one simply uploads the video and then you send recipients the link to your channel. (See this short tutorial, or YouTube help: Upload and Share)
If on file sharing (like Google Drive or Dropbox), simply upload the file and the site provides a special link that you can distribute via email.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

I use the :free: Format Factory as my "does everything" video (and other) utility. One of its myriad of features is the ability to reduce size when converting, even to the same format like .mp4. Well worth having in your toolbox.
ff1.png
Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.