windows update vs microsoft update

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

windows update vs microsoft update

Post by stuck »

I understand the difference between Windows Update and MS Update.

Initially my home PC got its updates from Windows Update but Windows Updte kelt nagging me about MS Update so I thought, why not, I'll give it a go.

Now I don't seem to be able to use Windows Update at all. The WU URL resolves to MS Updates.

Is it possible to have your Windows Update cake and eat your MS Updates cake as well?

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: windows update vs microsfot update

Post by DaveA »

MS Update will check on ALL Microsoft products that use their Update system.
You will still be getting the Windows updates that are for your machine.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Re: windows update vs microsoft update

Post by HansV »

Once you use Microsoft Update, Windows Update will automatically link through to Microsoft Update. The latter is more convenient because it provides updates for all Microsoft software: Windows, Office, Silverlight, .Net, SQL Server etc.
There is no need to use Windows Update any more.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Once you use Microsoft Update, Windows Update will automatically link through to Microsoft Update. The latter is more convenient because it provides updates for all Microsoft software: Windows, Office, Silverlight, .Net, SQL Server etc.
There is no need to use Windows Update any more.
I have Windows Updates, how do you get Microsoft Updates? I Goggled Microsoft Updates and no information was found on how to install MU's.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Go to http://update.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You'll probably be asked permission to install some components. It's OK to do so.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Go to http://update.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You'll probably be asked permission to install some components. It's OK to do so.

Your link lead me to Microsoft Update. Told to click on Start button, click All Programs, then click on Windows Update. I have that now, I still don't see Microsoft Updates. Is it available to Windows 7, 64-bit users?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Windows Update in Windows 7 automatically uses Microsoft Update; it will offer updates for all Microsoft software, not just Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The Windows Update in Windows 7 automatically uses Microsoft Update; it will offer updates for all Microsoft software, not just Windows.
OK, I thought I was missing something, especially because in your post to someone else you wrote "There's no need to use Windows Updates any more."

All's well, that ends well.

Thanks for the info. :thankyou: