IE has stopped working........

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

IE has stopped working........

Post by Skitterbug »

My older friend is having computer problems specifically with IE. This browser, when it is started, decided to have a pop up appear saying that "IE has stopped working...." and it is looking for a solution (or some such). She is using Win7 with IE11.

So I tried the suggestions on this website down to #7. Obviously since IE wasn't working, I couldn't download anything to run on her computer and I hadn't thought to load it on a USB stick to take along to her home. I thought it would be an easy fix. (ha little do I know). Anyway one other thing I did try was running IE with admin privileges even though she is the admin of her computer. I selected the choice on the shortcut properties box so it would work each time she would click and load from that shortcut. That worked - but it didn't solve the problem completely. If she tries to click on a link in her email that takes her to IE, she ends up with the same error message. Or if she clicks on a saved link on her desktop, yep, error message happens again. IE should just open properly and work!

Has anyone dealt with this error and are there any suggestions on how to fix the error permanently?
I will appreciate any help I can get! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: IE has stopped working........

Post by Rudi »

Hi Skitter...

If this issue has not been around for too long, it might just be easier to do a system restore on your friends PC. Restoring the system to a date before the issue started is often times the least messy way of resolving things. If it has been a while or major changes to the PC have been done, you could try working through an even more comprehensive list of troubleshooting steps.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Rudi wrote:Hi Skitter...

If this issue has not been around for too long, it might just be easier to do a system restore on your friends PC. Restoring the system to a date before the issue started is often times the least messy way of resolving things. If it has been a while or major changes to the PC have been done, you could try working through an even more comprehensive list of troubleshooting steps.
I don't know if she has the restore feature running but I'll give that a look-see! I like that way best if it works
It's been awhile since I've messed about in PCs, so my question is whether the data stays when the system is restored? I'm most worried about her emails. I'm thinking they do since it is a "system" restore but...... better to ask an expert! :grin:

Thanks Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

System restore leaves all the user's data intact. It only affects system files.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:System restore leaves all the user's data intact. It only affects system files.
Thank you Hans! Maybe I remember more than I think I can? :rofl:

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What happens if the machine was restarted?

I have seen this message many things and it is jut the current session that has stopped.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Rudi wrote:Hi Skitter...

Me again......
Sadly, I've found that the restore feature was not in play on my friend's computer. I looked at plan B that you listed but she has Windows 7 so It was difficult applying some of them. I did download Firefox on a USB stick and I took it along so I had a back up plan....but even Firefox had a script error on one of the pages it loaded. (aarrruuggghhh)

I decided to check the event logs and I found this error message that I'll only list part of since these are usually very long:
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 4/1/2016 7:39:48 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Owner-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 11.0.9600.18231, time stamp: 0x56b8edd6
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.19135, time stamp: 0x56a1c680
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00008c5c
Faulting process id: 0xe8c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d18c6fc690525f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 04fdf4b3-f863-11e5-803f-f46d042fad51

Does this provide any info that could help me solve why IE is giving the message "IE has stopped working......"

Thanks!

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

DaveA wrote:What happens if the machine was restarted?

I have seen this message many things and it is jut the current session that has stopped.
Yep, restarting the PC is usually my first step in troubleshooting - although I've had that compound a problem a few times.
And I agree during research on this problem, I've seen that this message can pop up for several applications. I do think in the case I am dealing with, it is relevant to IE.

Thanks for your thoughts. Keep the suggestions coming because the problem hasn't been solved yet. :hairout: