Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

aekyall
4StarLounger

Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Post by aekyall »

Having recently managed (with considerable Lounge help!) to install Linux Mint on my XP(H) computer as dual boot, I thought I'd do the same on my main computer running Windows 10 x64. Downloaded the x64 version of 17.2 Rafaela and it runs perfectly from a USB stick. However, when I choose to install it, it tells me "This computer currently has no detected operating system. What would you like to do?" The main option is to do a clean install which would wipe my disk, and thus Windows 10. One of the options is to "do something else" (see comment below). My main question is - does anyone have any insight as to why Mint doesn't see my Windows 10 operating system? The screenshot below shows my disk layout. The 100MB System Reserved was there on purchase and Windows 7 was located on C: (where Windows 10 now resides). I'm unsure what the 450MB partition is, although it would seem it has something to do with Windows 10 recovery/restore?? The 24.41GB partition is where I keep backup copies of important documents, and the 73.24GB remaining is unused.

Is it possible that, somehow, the Windows 10 install is the culprit?

Re the option to "do something else": If I choose that it presents me with the layout of disk partitions (uses SD notations) - I assume that if I Highlight/choose the 73.24GB unallocated location then Mint will install there. The question then would be:- Would I still get the option to dual boot - I suspect not.

One option I'm thinking about is to install another HDD and install Mint there.

As usual (!) I'm somewhat out of my depth here, but trying to learn - just don't want to end up losing my main operating system in the process!

Grateful for any pearls of wisdom
Capture 1.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Post by aekyall »

Just to tidy this thread up:

Having exhausted all avenues as to why the Linux installation process wouldn't recognise Windows 10, I decided to install an additional HDD and load Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa), Cinnamon, on it. Of course, that left me with having to interrupt the boot process (F11 in my case) every time to select one or other of the operating systems to boot up (I reset BIOS to boot to the new disk, so only had to use F11 when I wanted to go back to Windows!!).

I then posted my problem on the Linux forum and finally got a work around! On recommendation, I downloaded Neosmart Technologies' EasyBCD program (free version), added Linux's Grub2 and its location, and then rebooted. I now get the option of selecting which operating system I want without having to interrupt the boot process!

Of course, I still don't know why the inital Linux installation process couldn't see Windows 10.

I found EasyBCD very easy to set up and use but am aware that it needs using with great caution! :grin:
Regards,
Keith