Vista CPU 50%

RonH
SilverLounger

Vista CPU 50%

Post by RonH »

My lady's Vista pc is driving at 50% CPU ... the services below seem to be the cause. Any ideas please as to possible cause?
From my recollection, the only 'change' recently is a new version of Avast (free) installed ... but this does not seem to be in the 'services list'.

The 1st line in the busy services seems to be something to do with Windows Update?
CPU 50%.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Vista CPU 50%

Post by HansV »

If you look at the Processes tab, and sort it on CPU usage (descending), are there processes that consistently use a lot of CPU time?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Its svchost.exe Hans at 50% which is where I rt clicked to get to the busy services.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks. Unfortunately, svchost.exe is a difficult one to troubleshoot. Has your wife tried rebooting?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Have done 3 to 4 reboots ... me of course doing the doing!
The only aspect that I can see as a possibility is the Windows Update being 1st on the list of Services being wuauserv. Is it OK to stop this service to see what happens? I have also just run Malwarebytes and nothing found. Maybe I should just see if I can roll back to an earlier Restore Point.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Update (wuauserv) usually stops running after a while. You might try stopping it - you can always restart it later.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans.
Just now a whole pile of Windows Updates have downloaded and I have clicked 'install' ... the monthly serve I guess. I will let it complete and see what happens. Maybe the CPU usage was related to an earlier but aborted attempt by Windows Update to download to the Vista ... we shall see.
Get back to 'Eileen' if this issue does not self resolve ... 50% CPU usage has been going on for most of today in spite of many reboots.

Windows 10 looks better every day :smile:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

50% CPU usage is nothing to worry about, unless one is having issues elsewhere.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Agreed Dave but her pc sure does g r i n d along (just) when half of the CPU is active elsewhere. Have to give serious consideration to an update in the near future ... it is an 8 year old Vista machine.

It looks as if the problem was related to some kind of failed update ... the pc is now not showing its age :clapping:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Get her a NEW machine with Windows 10.......
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

My terminology 'update' means new :grin:
All donations gratefully received :thankyou:
Windows.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.