Why is Win 10 Downloading?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Why is Win 10 Downloading?

Post by BobH »

I have downloaded my copy of Win 10 but choose not to install it for now; however, when I run Windows Update to install Win 7 and Office updates, Win 10 begins downloading (again). If I let it run to conclusion, it then tries to install. I never checked an option in the WU list of available updates related to Win 10 (at least, not to my knowledge).

Is anyone else experiencing this?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Why is Win 10 Downloading?

Post by HansV »

Try uninstalling KB3035583. If it is offered again in Windows Update, right-click it and hide the update (this assumes that you don't let Microsoft install updates automatically).
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I now have the same problem. Windows 10 appears as an optional update but even when I deselect it, it still tries to download and install. I can't install my other security patches because of this!
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

StuartR wrote:I now have the same problem. Windows 10 appears as an optional update but even when I deselect it, it still tries to download and install. I can't install my other security patches because of this!

I was able to install the other security patches, Stuart; but I had to let Win 10 finish downloading and ask to be installed. I then declined to let it be and after confirming that choice, WU installed the other updates. It is a bit of a kludge, but it worked for me.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Here you guys are desperately trying to avoid a Win 10 download and me, on the other hand, cannot wait for the software to arrive at my work so I can install it. Is there any reason why you blokes are holding out on this?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Early adopters must have thick skin or be prepared for pain, IME.

I prefer to let new releases of things settle in a bit before I move to them. Plus, I dislike being forced into a move that might benefit others but has little or no immediate benefit for me.

Being on the cutting edge is often bloody.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:Being on the cutting edge is often bloody.
Interesting quote or expression. I cannot disagree with that!
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:Try uninstalling KB3035583. If it is offered again in Windows Update, right-click it and hide the update (this assumes that you don't let Microsoft install updates automatically).
I uninstalled that updated, the PC rebooted at the end of the install and I no longer see the Windows 10 icon in the system tray area. I still can't install any updates from Windows update because it insists on installing Windows 10.

BOTHER
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See if Disk Cleanup (possibly with the option to Run As Administrator) helps - see Prevent the Windows 10 upgrade from installing after making your reservation.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That looked very encouraging, but it's still the same.
I deinstalled KB3033583
I hid KB3033583 and Windows 10 update
I ran disk cleanup and removed the temporary installation files
I ran windows update again and checked that the two updates were still hidden
I attempted to install the security updates and it immediately started downloading Windows 10 again!

Edited to add

I tried again, selecting just one security update. Although it SAID Downloading Windows 10, it didn't actually install it.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's hope it stays like that... :crossfingers:
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This really isn't good.

On this laptop I seem to be able to install patches, but every time I run Windows update I see this display
W10.jpg
The text goes from "Getting setup files...", to "Checking requirements..." and then the updates finish and it seems that Windows 10 has not been installed.

Since this laptop seemed OK, I tried running Windows Update on my main desktop PC. This one didn't display the Windows 10 information on the update screen, but it has now been displaying "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer" for more than an hour. I can still connect to shares on this PC so I know that it is doing something, but I'm not sure how long to wait till I do turn it off!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That must be my worst experience of Windows Update ever. I eventually turned the problematic computer off, waited a minute and turned it back on. It went straight back to "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer." but this time it did eventually move on. It auto rebooted about 4 times with varying status messages and eventually finished. When I ran Windows update again it found more updates waiting to be installed, and after the next reboot I ran it yet again and found two more!

I think everything is now updated and I still have Windows 7 everywhere. What a pain that was!
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It may have been easier (and less traumatic :crazy: ) to have just had Win 10 upgrade in the default way, and then after the upgrade simply revert back to the previous OS.
Regards,
Rudi

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It looks like the best method is/was to NOT reserve a copy and just wait until one wishes to install Windows X. :hairout:

That is what I am doing. I did NOT reserve a copy for any of my machines, and I still have about 11 months to think about upgrading. Yes once in while I get the message that Windows x is available and I have that white icon in the navigation area, but it does not bother me. :evilgrin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

As the op in this thread states, I experienced similar problems to those Stuart had . . . just not as prolonged. Windows Update did try to install Win 10 even to downloading it and starting the installation wizard. When I declined the installation and confirmed that decision WU went back to the list of updates I had chosen and installed them. All this happened on this laptop which I have now updated to Win 10.

Each time I want to do a task that was routine for me in earlier versions, I have to stop and figure out what the new protocols are before proceeding. For example, there is no Control Panel. After all these decades of having a CP, they decided to name it Settings and change the way things work. I needed to uninstall several programs. I was able to find my way through settings but had to search for an article describing the process before I could remove them. I learned in the process that there is a sort feature that allows you to sort the list of installed software in different ways. The default was by size IIRC and I'm accustomed to sorting by name; so that took a few minutes. Another example is that MSE is no longer used in Win10 but something called Windows Defender installs automatically.

All in all the experience has been better than I expected.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

For example, there is no Control Panel.
Right click the start button and you will see the control panel we all know and love. See screenshot attached.

BTW, I had trouble finding it too. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The menu mentioned by Carol W. (thanks, Carol!) can also be invoked by pressing Windows key+X.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Carol!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)