BSOD

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

BSOD

Post by Pilgrim »

Lately, I have been getting random BSOD, most always when the machine is idle. The minidump gives little to nothing that I can see to try and find out why this is happening.

WhoCrashed report appears to give more information, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

I have attached both the minidump and the WhoCrashed reports hoping someone can figure out what is happening and what remedies there are to fix things. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: BSOD

Post by HansV »

A quick search turns up overheating of the CPU as a possible cause of the errors you get, but that seems unlikely if the machine is idle before the blue screen occurs. Still, does a hardware profiler such as Speccy (free) reveal anything unusual?
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:A quick search turns up overheating of the CPU as a possible cause of the errors you get, but that seems unlikely if the machine is idle before the blue screen occurs. Still, does a hardware profiler such as Speccy (free) reveal anything unusual?
No overheating... 36° C (according to Speccy), which is what I would expect with the cooling system I have.

As you might/should expect, I've Googled myself dizzy trying to find something similar but nothing really helpful. I suppose I could try running MEMTEST 86 again, which I have done periodically in the past and everytime the RAM passes. Of course, RAM can go bad, albeit not typically.

Anything else you can suggest?

Perhaps totally unrelated:

1. Using IE9 when doing image searches, the browser will slow to a crawl until the page loads. Firefox and SeaMonkey have no problems whatsoever. It seems that IE can't handle heavy graphic displays... graphic card perhaps?

2. PayPal website cannot be displayed properly. A few images/icons can be seen but 99% of the text is jibberish, e.g., uppercase K and V, short verticle lines, dashes, etc. This is cross browsers. There was one other site that had the same problem, but other than that one time (can't remember what site it was, hahaha), no such problems anywhere else.
Jeff

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... but that seems unlikely if the machine is idle before the blue screen occurs.
I used to get machine crashes from overheating when the machine was doing nothing but struggling to push air with a dust-encrusted fan. Over the years I have "fixed" several system with a powerful vacumn cleaner.
I'm just saying .. "Vista" sounds old, so maybe the machine is old, so maybe the machine has bred dust-bunnies ...?
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
HansV wrote:... but that seems unlikely if the machine is idle before the blue screen occurs.
I used to get machine crashes from overheating when the machine was doing nothing but struggling to push air with a dust-encrusted fan. Over the years I have "fixed" several system with a powerful vacumn cleaner.
I'm just saying .. "Vista" sounds old, so maybe the machine is old, so maybe the machine has bred dust-bunnies ...?
1. Yes, the machine is rather "old" compared to what has come along since Vista was release. However, I just happen to really like Vista and it has been great since the day I built the machine.

2. I am rather meticulous when it comes to "clean". Regular cleaning inside and out is practiced. There are no dust bunnies, cat hair, or anything else in the box. :)

Good suggestion nonetheless. I clean out the inside of every machine I work on and it's amazing sometimes to see what has accumulated.
Jeff

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

In the Who Crashed Report it suggests that a ntkrpamp.exe file may be corrupt or need updating. Have you checked this out?
Also:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/33 ... ots-bsods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

I do not have "multiple processors"... just the one AMD 64 Athlon X2 6000. Thus, the article would be irrevelant, no?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not sure whether it applies to multi-core processors too - the AMD 64 Athlon X2 6000 has two cores...
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

viking33 wrote:In the Who Crashed Report it suggests that a ntkrpamp.exe file may be corrupt or need updating. Have you checked this out?
Also:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/33 ... ots-bsods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, read that thread but that too is irrevelant since I do not have nor ever have had Avast installed on this system. I keep leaning toward hardware vs. software as the culprit. But I certainly wouldn't disregard the possibility that it is software related. It would surely make it easier to fix.
Jeff

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:Not sure whether it applies to multi-core processors too - the AMD 64 Athlon X2 6000 has two cores...
I'm going to take it as applying to "multiple processors" vs. a single "multi-core" processor.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The drivers mentioned in the crash report are system drivers, so you cannot simply download and install updated versions (apart from that, I don't trust 'generic' sites offering driver updates). If the problem keeps occurring you might consider running

sfc /scannow

from a command prompt window.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:The drivers mentioned in the crash report are system drivers, so you cannot simply download and install updated versions (apart from that, I don't trust 'generic' sites offering driver updates). If the problem keeps occurring you might consider running

sfc /scannow

from a command prompt window.
Agree on both items: I do not trust generic sites offering driver updates. I always go to the original manufacturer.

Yep, scandsk seems like a good plan.
Jeff

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Pilgrim wrote:
viking33 wrote:In the Who Crashed Report it suggests that a ntkrpamp.exe file may be corrupt or need updating. Have you checked this out?
Also:
Yep, read that thread but that too is irrevelant since I do not have nor ever have had Avast installed on this system. I keep leaning toward hardware vs. software as the culprit. But I certainly wouldn't disregard the possibility that it is software related. It would surely make it easier to fix.
Where did it mention Avast?
That .exe file was developed by Microsoft and is associated with MSDN Disk 2443.4 ( whatever that is? ) but the point is, it's apparently used by many other programs including video, audio types.
Do a search for that file name on your system.
Run the System File Checker on your machine.
Start>Run>Cmd, type sfc \scannow. Let it run.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

viking33 wrote:
Pilgrim wrote:
Also:
Where did it mention Avast?
That .exe file was developed by Microsoft and is associated with MSDN Disk 2443.4 ( whatever that is? ) but the point is, it's apparently used by many other programs including video, audio types.
Do a search for that file name on your system.
Run the System File Checker on your machine.
Start>Run>Cmd, type sfc \scannow. Let it run.
1. ntkrpamp.exe doesn't exist on my system. (yes, I disabled hide hidden protected system files)

2. Definitely will run the scannow utility. :)
Jeff