Windows 10 and graphics

aekyall
4StarLounger

Windows 10 and graphics

Post by aekyall »

It seems MS has now decided that my computer cannot be upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because NVIDIA hasn't made my display compatible with Windows 10. This, despite MS originally checking my system and telling me I was 'good to go'.
I've been on to the NVIDIA website and checked for an update (current version is 309.08) but none seems to be available. Does anyone know if it's likely NVIDIA might get around to upgrading, or should I just buy another graphics card (I assume that if I do I can just install it in a free PCI E slot and it will automatically take over from my existing, 'on board' graphics?). I'm running Windows 7 HP - details of my graphics are on the right of the screenshot below: All advice welcome! :scratch:
Capture.GIF
Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 and graphics

Post by HansV »

I fear that the GeForce 7035/nForce 630a combination is too old - the last update was released in 2010, and support ended in April of 2014. It's strange that GWX told you that your system was compatible with Windows 10...

If you buy a graphics card and place it in a free PCI slot, it should install itself automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I feared as much! :sad: Thanks Hans
Regards,
Keith

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

aekyall wrote:It seems MS has now decided that my computer cannot be upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because NVIDIA hasn't made my display compatible with Windows 10. This, despite MS originally checking my system and telling me I was 'good to go'.
A pity, I Agree.
And MS being MS there's no way they would upgrade their "compatibility" application if you emailed them with the news. You are just one of millions and "just think of the paperwork" if we had to upgrade the compatibility-checker.
It ought to be not much more complex than finding the chunk of code that protested during insallation and making that code available to the compatibility checker, a procedure that MUST have been used in the development of the last, oh, say, twenty compatibility checkers put out by MS
(signed) "grumpy already and it's only Monday" of Toronto.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Just to tidy up! Bought a NVIDIA GeForce 210 and inserted it - once I'd realised that I needed to attach my monitor to the VGA port of the 210 (Doh!!) and not leave it still connected to the old graphics card, everything went smoothly. Except! ---- GWX doesn't see the updated graphics and when I check it still tells me I have the old card and that I cannot upgrade. As far as I can tell, the 210 installation went well and nothing is amiss - I've checked what Speccy sees (screen shot below) and the 210 card is obviously in and working, so not sure how I can get MS to notice that I've updated my graphics?

Hans: I forgot to pick up on your comment about GWX telling me all was okay when it obviously wasn't: I had checked a couple of times - the first occasion GWX advised me that NIS (Symantec) wasn't compatible. Symantec updated its NIS software a few days later and when I checked GWX again, it said all was okay now - no mention of graphics or any other problem :scratch:

Guess I'll just keep checking GWX every now and then and see if it ever manages to recognise the update!!
Capture1.GIF
Capture.GIF
My thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Keith, I would suggest you update your driver for the 210. The version I have installed is 9.18.13.4144. Using Device Manager, you should try disabling the 7025/630a device and run the GWX compatibility test again.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks for the pointer Paul. Duly updated to 9.18.13.4144 with no problem (initial installation process did indicate that it was checking for updates while installing - but it obviously didn't!). Unfortunately, my device manager only shows NVIDIA GeForce 210 under the Display Adaptors heading - Possible that part of the function of installing GeForce 210 was to 'disable' 7025/630a? Anyway, following the driver update I checked GWX again and it still sees 7025/630a. I'll leave it a couple of days to see if anything changes and if not, I'll try removing GWX and see if it reinstalls itself and finds the new card!
Cheers! :cheers:
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Quick update: Went on to Windows community to see if I could find out anything there. Seems there's at least one other person with exactly the same problem as I have, even down to the same (old) graphics (7025/630a). So, at least I'm not alone!!! They upgraded to a GeForce 640 and even disabled their old graphics/drivers in BIOS, to no avail. Ever onward!
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wow, that's bad luck! :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Another (sad) progress report (in case anyone comes up against a similar problem). With some trepidation, I accessed my BIOS. Went to 'advanced', then 'Chipset Configuration' and then 'Primary Graphics Adapter'. Selected this and was presented with three options; Onboard; PCI Express; and PCI - PCI was the one set (although I thought my original graphics were 'onboard'). Took the plunge and changed it to PCI Express as that was where I had seated the new graphics card. Unfortunately! Doesn't seem to have had any effect on my computer and GWX still thinks I've got the old graphics installed! Back to the drawing board again! But wonder why changing the BIOS has had no (seemingly) effect on my computer's performance (I did check to make sure I'd exited BIOS and saved changes)
:scratch:
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Well!! Decided to run Windows Update and, surprise surprise, was presented with -
Capture.GIF
So, then clicked on GWX logo (which, up to now had been telling me I couldn't upgrade - see previous posts), and was presented with -
Capture 1.GIF
The download is, so far, 5% complete. Strange world!

Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wow! Let us know the outcome...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Holding thumbs that the rest of the upgrade installs smoothly.
I like happy endings. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Everything going smoothly until I chose not to install straight away - I thought that I could decide if/when I actually did the install; ie, a couple of days or a couple of months even, waiting for things to settle down first. However, all I was given as an option was a screen with a 24 hour movable clock and the option to install either today (8th) or 9th or 10th, Monday - no other option. I chose the 10th at 1600 to give me a bit of time to report back here in case there was a way to keep the installation date rolling forward.

Now the confusing bit! (see screen shot below)
Capture 3.GIF
At this point I just ignored what was on the screen shot and shut my computer down via the 'start' - 'shutdown' button, rather than selecting the 'restart now' button. I fully expected that when I turned my computer on this afternoon that everything would be taken out of my hands and the installation would begin. It didn't! All seemed normal - then I noticed the windows download logo on my task bar (capture 4). Clicking on this produced the screen shot above (capture 3).
Capture 4.GIF
Not now sure at exactly where I am! Will the installation start automatically on 10th (the date I chose) or can I just ignore the 'new updates ready' logo on my task bar and continue to shut my computer down by the 'start' button, thus holding off on when I decide the installation should go ahead? I guess the question will be, at least partly, resolved at 1600 on Monday when/when not the chosen installation time arrives!

I'll update on installation/not installation thereafter, but not under this thread - unless I still have hardware problems to come!!

My apologies for the verbosity - trying to convey what actually happened, but probably not very successfully!!

Regards,
Regards,
Keith