New Google Photos

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

New Google Photos

Post by Peter Kinross »

The new Google Photos is up and running. Seems incredible value - unlimited pic storage for FREE!
But, for the life of me, I cannot find how to do a batch upload from my pc.
Nor can I discern if G P will then re-arrange my existing folders on my pc when I sync.
Any help would be appreciated.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: New Google Photos

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Simply click the small cloud icon and select all the images you want. See attached...

I very much doubt the software will rearrange your folder system when you sync; however I cannot confirm that!
SC153.jpg
SC154.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

An interesting article on the "intelligence" of Google Photo's.
Regards,
Rudi

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Rudi. I had already tried that, but it can only select pics (yeah sure, all the pics in a folder at once) but not folders, or better still multiple folders.
I would have thought that Google would have that functionality. I have a LOT of folders, many of them are nested. Trying to keep tabs on what folders I have downloaded the pics from would be problematic.
I have set a whole range of folders to be backed up using Google Photos 'Settings', but only folders from my phone have actually been backed up. So I want to actually select the folders from within GP using that Cloud icon, guess it can't be done.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'll confirm that. You can only load items from one folder at a time!

I thought I could "beat" the system and accessed the upload dialog from Google Pictures
Then I did a search for Kind: Pictures
Clicked on Custom to mark off specific locations where pictures were stored
Clicked the open (upload) button, and I was greeted with the message as seen in the last image below.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I think that you are all so brave, storing your pictures on-line in the 'cloud'.

As a 'senior' I just can't allow myself this freedom to give others access to over 24000 of my pictures. Just yesterday I watched part 2 of a TV crime where a criminal was able to track down the whereabouts of an individual from pictures, dates and the other information they contained ...
Of course we all 'understand' that only 'you' have access to your 'cloud' ... hmm :grin:

Maybe I am just getting to old :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

What RonH said . . . plus 1
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks guys.
Very strange that we can't select multiple folders. But when all is said and done, it is a FREE UNLIMITED storage service. Can't really complain.
Sincere thanks Google.
I have bitten the bullet and painstakingly uploaded the contents of all my pic folders. Due to multiple nesting, I am certain that I will have missed a few, but this is my 4th line of backups, so I should be safe.
With respect to my privacy - well I will just have to trust Google's motto "Don't be evil". It would have been even better if they had included "be very safe" as well. But I think that I am in reasonably safe hands. If not, well I can't see any harm eventuating from some baddies glimpsing my pics - all of which are totally innocent.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Peter Kinross wrote:...for the life of me, I cannot find how to do a batch upload from my pc.
Nor can I discern if G P will then re-arrange my existing folders on my pc when I sync.
Any help would be appreciated.
Try this article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485244,00.asp
The title may be a bit alarmist but it does give some idea of what the new Google photos is about.

Alternative views:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2484832,00.asp
http://recode.net/2015/06/02/the-new-go ... ery-smart/

From what I've read I won't be rushing to use it.

Ken