Set Outlook as default email client

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Set Outlook as default email client

Post by Gloria E »

Currently I have Thunderbird as the default email client. I would like to change that to Outlook 2002 (that installed with Windows 7). I've tried everything I know of to make the change but alas, no cigar. I wonder if the version can be updated at no charge?

I do need to set associations for Outlook, currently Thunderbird is associated with .eml. I'm looking for the place to make the change, as usual with win 7, the place eludes me.I did find in control panel: Set your default programs>Set association for a program. That's where I see that .eml is the default for Thunderbird, the WDSEML is also the TB default. Protocal: Mailto I've checked Outlook as the default and also for MAPI. When I went to TB it's set to be the default for every thing and the ticks cannot be removed.

In IE8>Tools>Internet Options>Set your default programs. I make Outlook the default, but mail's still being delivered to TB.

I'm at a loss as to how to fix the settings and need some big time assistance (step-by-step) if you please. I'm temped to remove TB and hope that will auto. make Outlook the default ( at least I hope it will). :scratch:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Set Outlook as default email client

Post by HansV »

Gloria, Outlook 2002 is not "installed with Windows 7". The only e-mail client that comes with Windows 7 is Windows Live Mail.
Outlook 2002 is part of Office XP. It works differently from Outlook Express and Thunderbird - all e-mail messages are stored in a single file, together with appointments, contacts, etc.
To make Outlook 2002 the default e-mail client, you do NOT want to change the association for .eml files.
Try the following (this assumes that you have already set up an e-mail account there):
- Start Outlook.
- Select Tools | Options...
- Activate the Other tab.
- Tick the check box to make Outlook the default e-mail client.
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Gloria, Outlook 2002 is not "installed with Windows 7". The only e-mail client that comes with Windows 7 is Windows Live Mail.
Outlook 2002 is part of Office XP. It works differently from Outlook Express and Thunderbird - all e-mail messages are stored in a single file, together with appointments, contacts, etc.
To make Outlook 2002 the default e-mail client, you do NOT want to change the association for .eml files.
Try the following (this assumes that you have already set up an e-mail account there):
- Start Outlook.
- Select Tools | Options...
- Activate the Other tab.
- Tick the check box to make Outlook the default e-mail client.
- Click OK.
I was in Outlook when the digest arrived. I did as suggested and clicked apply on my way out. Now if only it works the next time mail arrives. If TB delivers mail again, I'm going to remove it and reinstall (need it for backup).

I plumb forgot that Office delivered Outlook, thanks for reminding me.

One more question; Will the association change once Outlook's the default?

Thank you Hans, you're so smart. :clapping:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Outlook doesn't use .eml files, so the association for .eml files will not change.
New e-mail message will be delivered (or should be) in your Outlook Inbox, which is stored in your default Personal Folders file (a file with extension .pst). You can check which file you're using in File | Data File Management.
If you want to read your old e-mail in Outlook, you'll have to import them using File | Import and Export...
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Outlook doesn't use .eml files, so the association for .eml files will not change.
New e-mail message will be delivered (or should be) in your Outlook Inbox, which is stored in your default Personal Folders file (a file with extension .pst). You can check which file you're using in File | Data File Management.
If you want to read your old e-mail in Outlook, you'll have to import them using File | Import and Export...
Doggoneit! Email was just delivered and guess where it went? Straight to Thunderbird.

Is there something else you can suggest?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you have both TB & Outlook running at the same time whichever happens to contact your ISP first will get the email.

If you have TB running and not Outlook TB will still receive e-mail.

Joe
Joe

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Although I'm not sure what benefit there might be, if you feel you must keep Thunderbird as a backup email client, you can always set both Outlook and Thunderbird to leave your messages on the server. That way, both programs will gather your email. The down-side to that is you must remember to manually remove the messages from the server.

Alternatively, you could instruct one email client to leave the messages on the server and have the other one delete them once downloaded. However, in this case you would need to gather the email from the program that leaves the messages in situ before you open the other program, otherwise there will be no email to download.
Samantha

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Samantha wrote:Although I'm not sure what benefit there might be, if you feel you must keep Thunderbird as a backup email client, you can always set both Outlook and Thunderbird to leave your messages on the server. That way, both programs will gather your email. The down-side to that is you must remember to manually remove the messages from the server.

Alternatively, you could instruct one email client to leave the messages on the server and have the other one delete them once downloaded. However, in this case you would need to gather the email from the program that leaves the messages in situ before you open the other program, otherwise there will be no email to download.
I was in Default Programs in Control Panel, clicked Microsoft Outlook and read that This program has 0 out of 2 defaults. Clicked on Thunderbird and read This program has all it's defaults. This is probably the reason Outlook can't be made the default in spite of all the changes I've made to make it so.

Just how does one go about getting the defaults for Outlook? This Windows 7 stuff is driving me crazy. Someone throw me a life preserver, I'm about to go down for the third time. :help: :help:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since Thunderbird appears to be working well, and since you have so much trouble with Outlook, why don't you stay with Thunderbird?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Since Thunderbird appears to be working well, and since you have so much trouble with Outlook, why don't you stay with Thunderbird?
I think you have a great idea. I tried to register at the Outlook Forum, take a look at the validation code I was asked to enter.

http://www.office-outlook.com/outlook-f ... ex.php/re/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is the best I can do by copying and pasting, sorry about that. I'm going to remove Outlook and work on my problem trying to get IncrediMail to install. We can end this topic right now.

Gloria E

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What's the problem, is your $ key not working?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:What's the problem, is your $ key not working?
Have you ever seen such stupidity in all your life. How was I supposed to enter that validation code? :scratch:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, you are supposed to recognize four upper case letters and enter those, not the entire pattern that you see...
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Gloria, you are supposed to recognize four upper case letters and enter those, not the entire pattern that you see...
How in the world am I supposed to recognize them? Could you pick them out? Just tell me what I should look for? I decided not to join, the made me so mad, I will register again if I get the method from you.

BTW: Do you pick them out from all the lines or just on the top one. I've seen nothing like this before and I don't think many forums use that stupid method.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The code changes each time. so you can't copy the code I will show here.

When I just now went to the site and clicked "I agree", I saw this:
x117.png
The letters are UXZJ. Perhaps you can recognize them more easily if you stand away from the monitor.
In my case, I should have entered UXZJ. You will have to work out the letters that you see, and enter those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The code changes each time. so you can't copy the code I will show here.

When I just now went to the site and clicked "I agree", I saw this:
x117.png
The letters are UXZJ. Perhaps you can recognize them more easily if you stand away from the monitor.
In my case, I should have entered UXZJ. You will have to work out the letters that you see, and enter those.
After 10 tries trying to determine what the validation code was supposed to be, I finally completed the registration form. I almost got a blazing headache from staring at the screen. I want to use the forum to see what users had to say about the older version of Outlook I'm using. It's no competition for this lounge so I won't be going there often.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go to the site and tell me what you saw. I will return and do as you suggest taking a better look by backing away from the screen. :thankyou:

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I have discovered why I was unable to make Outlook the default email client.

I was going through the settins in Mail Washer Pro, clicked on Options and guess what I saw? I saw Select Mail Client and a drop down list which contained:

Mozilla Thunderbird
Microsoft Outlook
Windows Live Mail
Windows Mail

I ticked Outlook (of course) and when I sent mail from Mail Washer it went straight to Outlook. Problem solved