Rough looking text problem

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Rough looking text problem

Post by Pilgrim »

After installing the latest MS updates plain text is now 'rough' or 'jagged'. I checked to make sure that ClearType was enabled, which it was. I'm hoping there is a simple fix for this irritating problem. It's raising havoc with my old eyes. :)

I've attached a screenshot of some text; Times New Roman that illustrates the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Rough looking text problem

Post by HansV »

You might try the ClearType Tuner Power Toy, available from ClearType Tuner PowerToy.

(Despite what the article says, it should work in Vista, while the online tuner doesn't...)
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Pilgrim wrote:After installing the latest MS updates plain text is now 'rough' or 'jagged'. I checked to make sure that ClearType was enabled, which it was. I'm hoping there is a simple fix for this irritating problem. It's raising havoc with my old eyes. :)

I've attached a screenshot of some text; Times New Roman that illustrates the problem.
That does look pretty awful, Jeff.
Have you tried to change the default fonts to another one to see if that come up looking any better?
I got rid of Vista a while back, so I can't experiment for you. I think it's similar to Win 7, where you right clink on the desktop and click personalize, etc.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:You might try the ClearType Tuner Power Toy, available from ClearType Tuner PowerToy.

(Despite what the article says, it should work in Vista, while the online tuner doesn't...)
Thanks, but I tried that already and no change. :(
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you turn off ClearType?
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:What happens if you turn off ClearType?
MUCH worse.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmmm - I wonder if there is something wrong with your graphics card, monitor or cable - have you checked that the connectors are seated correctly? I once had image quality going wobbly because a connector was slightly loose...
Best wishes,
Hans

bhjohnson100
NewLounger

Post by bhjohnson100 »

Well, I'll chime in with a, "Me, too." My Vista Home Premium is doing exactly the same thing as described since the last Windows update.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Update 3013455, released on the 10th of February, appears to be the culprit. Microsoft has acknowledged it. Try uninstalling this update. If you have automatic updates turned on, you'll have to hide it in Windows Update to prevent it from being reinstalled at the first possible occasion.

From MS15-010: Description of the security update for Windows kernel mode driver: February 10, 2015:
After you install security update 3013455, you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. The problem occurs on computers that are running the following operating systems:
• Windows Server 2008 SP2
• Windows Server 2003 SP2
• Windows Vista SP2
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:Update 3013455, released on the 10th of February, appears to be the culprit. Microsoft has acknowledged it. Try uninstalling this update. If you have automatic updates turned on, you'll have to hide it in Windows Update to prevent it from being reinstalled at the first possible occasion.

From MS15-010: Description of the security update for Windows kernel mode driver: February 10, 2015:
After you install security update 3013455, you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. The problem occurs on computers that are running the following operating systems:
• Windows Server 2008 SP2
• Windows Server 2003 SP2
• Windows Vista SP2
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
Yep, I found this myself today and uninstalling that Windows Update resolved the problem. Too bad e-mail notifications aren't working for me here otherwise I wouldn't have had to wait so long to get this annoying problem fixed. It's great to have things working correctly again. :)
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

……………………

. Hi Hans,
. I had a similar problem to that described in this thread, but after some time experimenting narrowed it down to Vista, Google Chrome, and, what most threw me looking in the wrong direction – It only “appeared” to me as difficult to see text in Excel VBA Code Windows!!
. So yesterday I started a thread here
. http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/general-ex ... vista.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
. Got some good help but after a few hours of googling did not quite solve my problem,,,
. Slept on it… By morning coffee stumbled coincidentally on this thread…
. That last link from you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3037639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

.. has got me there finally!! - Precisely what worked for me was

. from that link I went ---- Update für Windows Vista ----- Download the package now------- Download ------## Windows6.0-KB3037639-x86.msu ##----- Next ----- Save

. I then got a dialogue box for saving a Windows6.0-KB3037639-x86 file described as a Microsoft Update Standalone Package.
. I saved this and double clicked it (Opened it), let it run….
. My computer did some unusual things, checking lots of USB and Desktop files, especially WORD Files and then went blank screen for a long while.
. I got nervous, went jogging for a long time, and when I got back the computer was up and running and up until now everything is OK and my poor quality text problem has gone!!!

Thanks for the info!
Alan
Bavaria

P.s. at point ## ______ ‘## above I was also offered Windows6.0-KB3013455-x86 as an alternative. But on running it errored saying my system was not compatible for that.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Thanks for sharing your experience with this fix. I'm glad it worked for you in the end.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

. Just quick feedback. Same Fix on my Aspire 7535G with original Vista ( Windows6.0-KB3037639-x86.msu from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3037639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) did the trick.
. Again unusually longer than normal Re-Start time first with Blank Black screen, then long Updates time before restarting normally. But only 15min compared with 40min previously.
. Otherwise, no Ill effects on this or my previous Vista Computer since doing the Fix.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also