Problem dealing with attachments

silverback
5StarLounger

Problem dealing with attachments

Post by silverback »

A friend has a PC running Windows XP on which he runs Outlook Express - I know not what version.
His PC power supply recently broke and on return from repair, 'things are not the same' - specifically he could not play music files or show video files. Somehow, the file associations had disappeared.
I talked him through fixing up the file associations - so double clicking on an MP3 file now opens and plays the music. Ditto for WMV files, but because Windows Media has 'disappeared', these were fixed up to Nero Showtime and they play OK as well.
After setting up these file associations, he found that double clicking on an MP3 or WMV email attachment generates an error message saying (paraphrase) "there is no program associated with files of this type. Go to Folder Options and set one up". We checked the attachments were not corrupt by saving them and then double clicking on them and they opened successfully.
Can someone help with why double clicking these attachments does not open them from within Outlook Express, please?
Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problem dealing with attachments

Post by HansV »

I'd let your friend download and install Windows Media Player - it's still available: Windows Media Player for Windows XP 32-bit.
Hopefully this will correct the file associations.

Warning: Microsoft may ask permission to change the home page to MSN and default search engine to Bing; unless your friend wants this he should take care to clear the corresponding check box.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

HansV wrote:I'd let your friend download and install Windows Media Player - it's still available: Windows Media Player for Windows XP 32-bit.
Hopefully this will correct the file associations.

Warning: Microsoft may ask permission to change the home page to MSN and default search engine to Bing; unless your friend wants this he should take care to clear the corresponding check box.
Hans
I tried this but during the installation of Windows Media, it errored saying it could not find any update information and closed the installation. I tried twice, but no joy - which is why I ended up fixing the files up to Nero.
Any thoughts on why the files won't open directly from within Outlook Express, please?
Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I found some web pages about this problem in a Google search, but they suggested either checking the file association in the File Types tab of Folder Options in Windows Explorer, which you have already done, or uninstalling then reinstalling the software used to open the files.

Perhaps your friend will have to resign himself to saving attachments to disk...

(I assume that moving on from XP to a newer version is not an option.)
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

HansV wrote:(I assume that moving on from XP to a newer version is not an option.)
Not at the moment, I think
Thanks for the other info. I'll see what I can do - not a lot, I fear.

Thanks
Silverback

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Have you checked that all the Windows Updates for XP have been applied?to this PC? It could be that WMP depends on a patch that is missing?

Ken

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

My apologies for not closing this thread. We didn't get to solve the original problem as, very shortly after I posted, his PC gave up the ghost so he's purchased a new laptop which performs to his satisfaction.
So, not solved, but solved, if you see what I mean. :crazy:
Thanks all for help and suggestions.
Silverback