Some sites not rendering correctly

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Some sites not rendering correctly

Post by PaulB »

I'm running Firefox 34.0.5 and with the last few releases going back to 32.0, I've noticed some sites don't appear to work properly. For example, I cannot scroll the pages at "time.com". The scroll wheel does nothing and there are no scroll bars on screen. The page down and page up buttons and the spacebar have no effect. This makes the site rather unusable.

Another site is "cnet.com". While displaying a story, none of the 5 links under the heading "This Week's Must Reads" (down the right hand side of the page) actually work. Clicking any one of them leads nowhere. There are a few more sites that work a little strangely but most sites I visit appear to work, including the Lounge.

I don't want to point the fickle finger of blame at Firefox. It may be that the sites mentioned above have implemented features not supported by Firefox. It is more likely that my installation of Firefox is the problem. I would appreciate it if the Firefox users in the Lounge would visit these sites and report back with their observations.

Thanks.

Edited to add: Started Firefox in safe mode. The problem encountered at "cnet.com" has disappeared.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Some sites not rendering correctly

Post by HansV »

Since it works OK in safe mode, the culprit is probably one of your Firefox add-ons. You could disable add-ons one by one until the sites work correctly, or disable ALL add-ons, then enable them one by one until the sites stop working correctly. Then you'd know which one is responsible for the problems.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Sage advice and when I tried it as I mentioned above, the problem at cnet went away but the problem at time.com remained. That is the one that has me stumped so far and the one for which I am looking to see if it occurs to others.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Weird - time.com works OK for me in Firefox, including the vertical scroll bar:
S0235.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

OK, thanks. This is going to take some serious study!
Regards,
Paul

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:OK, thanks. This is going to take some serious study!
Just to chime in here. Both time.com and cnet,com work for me also. Scrolling is fine. Running latest Fx 34.0.5
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks, Bob. Still looking into it here.
Regards,
Paul