Windows Live

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Live

Post by Gloria E »

Windows Live Search Enhancement Pack installs with Windows Live Toolbar. I've found defmgr.exe on my computer and I'd like to remove it, thought I'd check with you guys and gals first.

I understand Windows Live Search, Windows Live Messenger, and other Live applications also come with the Pack.If I remove any that I find would it hurt anything?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Windows Live

Post by JoeP »

You should not just delete files that are installed as part of a package. You should uninstall the parts of the package you don't want. If you start the uninstall process for Windows Live you should get the option to uninstall various components not just the whole package.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:You should not just delete files that are installed as part of a package. You should uninstall the parts of the package you don't want. If you start the uninstall process for Windows Live you should get the option to uninstall various components not just the whole package.

Joe
Good advice for those who want to save some and remove others. I didn't want anything so the whole package has been removed. :evilgrin:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gloria E wrote:
JoeP wrote:You should not just delete files that are installed as part of a package. You should uninstall the parts of the package you don't want. If you start the uninstall process for Windows Live you should get the option to uninstall various components not just the whole package.

Joe
Good advice for those who want to save some and remove others. I didn't want anything so the whole package has been removed.
I hope that means you uninstalled everything rather than just deleting files and folders.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:
Gloria E wrote:

Joe
Good advice for those who want to save some and remove others. I didn't want anything so the whole package has been removed.
I hope that means you uninstalled everything rather than just deleting files and folders.

Joe
What exactly do you mean by EVERYTHING? I removed every thing that I found on my computer and went into the registry and removed all found with the name of Windows Live. If there is something that I should have removed and might have missed, please suggest some files or folders that need to removed. I used Your Uninstaller Pro to do the removal and it also removed registry entries, I removed from the registry ones that it missed, which were very few.

Gloria E

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I meant did you uninstall all the components of Windows Live that you did not want as opposed to just deleting files and folders?

It is not MY Uninstaller Pro. The ONLY time I use anything like Uninstaller is after having first used the product uninstall routine and then continue to have some problem.

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Under normal circumstances, removing a program by deleting its files and registry entries is NOT a good idea. 99 % of the time it is easier and better to uninstall programs using the Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP and before) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista and 7) control panel.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Under normal circumstances, removing a program by deleting its files and registry entries is NOT a good idea. 99 % of the time it is easier and better to uninstall programs using the Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP and before) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista and 7) control panel.
Normally your advice is good as gold, but this time I must disagree. Using Programs & Features only removes the program, Your Uninstaller (which I've been using without an ounce of trouble or mistakes for over 3 years) first uses the programs uninstaller (if it has one) and then finds items in the registry related to the program you're removing and deletes them too after showing you what ones they found and you can uncheck the ones you want to keep.

I once removed a program using that tool, and it found 189 registry items. I'm not about to spend a good part of my day removing that many items one by one. If you haven't used Your Uninstaller you have no idea just how good, accurate, and efficient it is. Of course most programs don't have that many registry entries but that time I'm surely glad I did.
Why do you think it's not a good idea, besides the two you mentioned?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If 'Your Uninstaller' first invokes the program's uninstaller, then cleans up, I have no problem with it. I thought that you had manually deleted one or more program folders, but apparently I was mistaken.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:If 'Your Uninstaller' first invokes the program's uninstaller, then cleans up, I have no problem with it. I thought that you had manually deleted one or more program folders, but apparently I was mistaken.
No problem. I'd advise anyone who needs an excellent uninstaller to get either the free version or the paid one. I started with the free and within a month I made the purchase and never regretted it. I even spent a little more and bought the Lifetime Upgrade when it was time to register again. I now have Your Uninstaller Pro. :fanfare:

Gloria E

I