ERROR: Cannot open Outlook window! (Solution here!)

Rudi
gamma jay

ERROR: Cannot open Outlook window! (Solution here!)

Post by Rudi »

Today I suddenly got a weird error in Outlook. When I opened it it gave an error saying it "Could not open the Outlook Window"??? I did a little Googling and came up with two steps that solved the problem. Thought I'd publish it in the event it occurs with anyone!

Step 1 : WARNING - This involves going into the registry!

Ensure Outlook is closed (It will be in this event :grin: )

- Type RegEdit in the START|RUN command of Windows
- Navigate to this folder in the reg: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MicrosoftWindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Windows Messaging Subsystem/Profiles
- Right click on the Profiles folder and choose Delete.
- Confirm with OK
- Close RegEdit

Step 2

- Then open the START|RUN command again and type (or paste this in): outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Open Outlook.

This process worked well for me. I do not understand the steps...but it worked.

PS: I had to import my PST file as Outlook was completely clean. After the import of my latest PST file...ALL was great again.

Hope this helps...if you encounter this problem!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: ERROR: Cannot open Outlook window! (Solution here!)

Post by HansV »

It's not really necessary to delete the Profiles key using RegEdit. You can delete profiles and create new ones using the Mail control panel.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: ERROR: Cannot open Outlook window! (Solution here!)

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:It's not really necessary to delete the Profiles key using RegEdit. You can delete profiles and create new ones using the Mail control panel.
Thanks for that tip. I got this process of deleting the key from a Google search that pointed to the Microsoft Office Developer Site. I guess at that point I simply followed the instructions on the page to correct the error. I did not even think of going through the Mail Icon in control panel.

Anyhow...this and the STEP 2 process solved the issue...which, of course, I as grateful for!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.