Western Digital No Longer Making Routers

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Western Digital No Longer Making Routers

Post by BobH »

At first, my new Western Digital router seemed to be performing well; however, after using it for about 10 days, I've discovered things I wish I had known before purchasing it. I'm sending it back to Amazon.

Long story short, I could not get it accept changes entered through the firmware interface; and what's even worse, I could not get decent support from them. I did learn today - after an hour on the phone with someone on the subcontinent - that they are no longer making routers. It seems they have decided to return to core competencies.

So . . . I'm router shopping again. I want dual band 802.11ac (which must be backwards compatible with 802.11 b/n/g and USB ports on the router for file sharing within our LAN and on the Internet. At present the NetGear N750 (WNDR4300) seems to be what fits my pistol.

To anyone who bought a Western Digital router off my recommendation or reports, see if you can return it and do so if you can get your money back . . . and PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES!

:flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Western Digital No Longer Making Routers

Post by PaulB »

Bob, I believe the Netgear N750 is a good router and will probably adequately meet your networking needs. However, based on what I see online (and given its model number), I don't think it is an 802.11ac router. Looks to me like it is an 802.11n operating on 2 frequencies, one at 450 Mbps, the other at 300 Mbps, hence the N750 designation.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

Here are three websites that provide reviews and comparisons between some "best 'AC' routers of 2013 and 2014.
Scan through the pages and see if any stand out for you based on price and specs.
Remember that even though 'AC' is not brand new technology, it is still new tech on the market, so expect that these come with a bigger price tag that 'N' routers.

See product reviews and comparisons here:
-- 802.11ac Wi-Fi routers of 2013
-- 802.11ac Wi-Fi routers of 2014
-- PC News 802.11ac Wireless Routers review

If you like reading specs and getting all the details, see this in-depth review of a few 'AC' routers with extensive testing.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have an 802.11ac router that was provided by BT as part of my broadband contract. The router had very good reviews, but I find the range of the ac signal quite poor compared to the 2.5G signal that it also transmits
StuartR