Bandwidth Control

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
Rudi
gamma jay

Bandwidth Control

Post by Rudi »

My router documentation provides this info to control bandwidth in my home using QoS.
Within a normal home network, the bandwidth is shared by all computers. This means any computer using high-bandwidth applications, for example torrent programs or other P2P software, will affect the other computers. This may also include negative affects on the performance of the entire network. How can we avoid this?

The answer is IP QoS, which is designed to minimize the impact caused when the connection is under heavy load. Using IP QoS, we can assign a specific minimum or maximum bandwidth for each computer, which means they have less impact on each other. Please follow the steps below to configure IP QoS.
I have a contract for a 1M line and was wondering how much egress and ingress values to type into the bandwidth control settings for the router so that the bandwidth is evenly distributed amongst the users. Please provide some guidelines. TX.

The image below is an example of the settings dialog for my router.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Bandwidth Control

Post by stuck »

I'd never heard of QoS so I put 'IP QoS' into Google. The second hit was to:
http://uk.tp-link.com/article/?id=194
which contains a screen shot just like the yours above. Does the other info on that web page help you?

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks Ken, I have that article. My question is more focused on the values I need to add to the egress and ingress boxes. With a 1Mb line, what are the optimum values to use? According to web pages the value must never be more than your line speed, but I am new to these settings and am just after a bit more info from the more technical (or network familiar) guys around here.

Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Rudi,

Assigning QoS on a per computer basis is quite odd. It would be more normal to assign QoS values to the data packets based on the nature of the communication. For example VoIP packets need to have a more reliable response than web pages.

I strongly recommend that you just leave these settings alone, unless you are trying to solve a particular complex problem, and you really understand the implications of what you are changing.

If you want to set these up to prevent one particular computer from hogging the bandwidth then use a speed test site at different times of day to find the actual data rate that you get for upload and download, and these are the figures you plug in for total ingress and egress. You can then set that one computer to have a maximum of (for example) 25% of this.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

A speed test sound like a good plan...I'll see what comes of it.
TX
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Here is a very nice page that shows a practical example of how one can control bandwidth within a household, providing various computers with mininum and maximum speed based on their functions. If your router has QoS, then you will be able to curb hogging and ensure that whoever is online at that time has a fair amount of bandwidth to use. The example is using the control interface of a TP-LINK wireless router, but simply log into the admin page of your router and find the QoS settings or the Bandwidth Control settings.

See: How to use bandwidth control on wireless router
Regards,
Rudi