With Regard to Wifi, What is 801.11d?

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

With Regard to Wifi, What is 801.11d?

Post by BobH »

I continue to have sporadic wifi problems on my desktop. In checking settings, I finally noticed that the advanced settings for my wifi network adapter device included having 802.11d feature enabled. I thought that the standards were 802.11 b, g, and n. What is d and does it need to be enabled? Could this setting be causing problems?

Because all of my problems point to a bad network adapter (I'm using an ASUS EZ N USB) on this system, I'm thinking of replacing it. Although the USB adapters are the least costly, I was considering replacing the current USB with a PCIE card. I have open slots. Is this a good idea or a bad one? Should I just buy another USB adapter? If so, which one? I'd set up a poll except I have no idea which devices to include in it; so, if you will, please tell us what type and manufacturer's model you use.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: With Regard to Wifi, What is 801.11d?

Post by Rudi »

See: http://www.techopedia.com/definition/16646/ieee-80211d

This is not my field, but my router, and I'd probably figure that the other 6 billion routers on the planet are set at 802.11n only (or 802.11 mixed if you have older devices connecting to your router). As for your questions on the adapter...I cannot comment here as I have no experience on that!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

While a USB adaptor is convenient, an internal PCIE one would probably be more reliable (the cat's less likely to dislodge it...). I would imagine (while not knowing for sure) that as the wireless speed improves, the speed of the interface becomes more important, and my gut (as opposed to real knowledge) tells me that an internal card probably interfaces faster than a USB one.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you are buying a wireless network adapter that will be expected to last for a few years then you should look for one that supports 802.11ac
StuartR