Boot problems

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Boot problems

Post by Pilgrim »

Over the past month I have been having a problem with getting the system (Vista Ultimate 32-bit) to boot. As is typical, the problem is not anything usual that is usual. :hairout:

On startup, the system boots normally until after the progress image/bar and the system simply stalls and I get nothing but a black screen. Sometimes I get a notification that Ckkdsk needs to run due to a problem with one of the discs, which is either C: or F: (simple storage disk with no OS on it). After Chkdsk runs it will boot fine. But lately, the Chkdsk notification doesn't appear. I tried booting with my Vista installation disc in order to use the Repair utility, but that failed. It started fine loading files but then only a blank splash screen appears and it stalls. I then tried to use a partition emergency disc on boot which did load and I was able to view the "Properties" of the disc and enable the option to run Chkdsk and repair any errors if found. It ran successfully and then the system would boot. However, things have progressed to the point that even that didn't work, i.e., the system would just stall after the progress bar image displayed.

Finally, I was able to run my Acronis emergency disc and restore the previous days backup. It said it was successful, but when I tried to boot the system afterward, it stalled again. I let it sit for 3 hours with nothing but the blank black screen and the login window did appear. I typed in my login and password and it finally booted into Windows.

I've run two hardrive diagnotics; Western Digital and Seagate on the main HD and both times it passed without any errors. Eset Smart Security returns a clean bill of health too.

Soooooo, any ideas on what might be causing this issue?
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Boot problems

Post by HansV »

If you hadn't mentioned that the main HD passed the diagnostics, I'd have suspected hard disk problems. It still seems likely to me that there is a problem with the HD; it might be a good idea to replace it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

I did forget to mention, since I've tried so many things to try and get the system to boot (it is currently operational which is how I'm able to post here), that when the factory Vista installation disk failed to load I tried a Windows 7 installation disk and that did load and I was able to get into the Repair section. I ran the Boot problems utility and it said it found one problem but it wasn't able to fix it because it was incompatible (or something like that, haha).

So, you think spending the money to buy a new HD is my first choice??????
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just my opinion... But I'd be VERY tentative on storing anything on that drive if it causing bootup issues (esp. if the diagnostics programs say nothing is wrong)!! You start adding files and tomorrow you cannot boot it up again... ! :hairout: If this is the case and you have verified the issues are not just a once off fluke, then I'd definitely start looking into getting a new HD.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think so, but if I were you I'd wait a bit to see what others suggest.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

There is a chance that your boot issue is a Vista variation on a Win 7 boot issue I've seen. I never really got to the bottom of it but my best guess was the root cause was corruption in the boot cache.

Try reading this post (and the rest of the thread that surrounds it) but the MS KB article I linked to does seem to be only applicable to Win 7.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I think so, but if I were you I'd wait a bit to see what others suggest.
I don't suppose you have an Imager in use, such s Acronis True Image, where you have a copy of the MBR ( master boot record ) available?
If so, you could as an option, restore the MBR to an earlier time.

A FREE EASUS Partition Master is available, which can rebuild the MBR as well as do lots of other disk operations. D\L here:
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-pa ... ld-mbr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lacking that, I would go for a new HD. They are huge and cheap these days.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.