open links in new window?

ladybugblue
Lounger

open links in new window?

Post by ladybugblue »

How can you create a hyperlink in PowerPoint 2007 (saved as HTML) that will open a file in a new browser window? We used to go to the code and change the target="_parent" to target="_blank".

We have tried to change the link in PPT 2007 to use target="_new" and target="_blank" but that is not working. Any ideas?

HansV
Administrator

Re: open links in new window?

Post by HansV »

I think the actual behavior will depend on the user's browser settings for opening links. You can right-click the hyperlink and select "Open in new window" from the popup menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

ladybugblue
Lounger

Post by ladybugblue »

Normally on HTML pages, you can specify in the link's settings whether the link will open on the same page or in a new window (or in a specific frame, if you have a frames-enabled web site). This is separate from browser settings... just not sure why the functionality was changed with PowerPoint 2007!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Ladybugblue,

Have a look at this web page and see if one of the three solutions could be your answer.
Just a shot in the dark.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I look at the HTML generated from PowerPoint 2007 using Notepad, I get the impression that the hyperlinks use JavaScript, but - as usual with MS Office - the HTML is so convoluted that I don't really understand what's going on. The hyperlink appears 4 times in the source code...

Perhaps someone who knows more about HTML than I do can help.
Best wishes,
Hans

ladybugblue
Lounger

Post by ladybugblue »

Rudi - that looks like it might have some possibility - thank you! We'll give the second option a try, as it's the first that doesn't seem to be working for us.

Hans - thank you - the fact that there are 4 iterations of the hyperlink might be part of the problem... we'll take a look.