Linux: preventing updates from downloading

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Linux: preventing updates from downloading

Post by John Gray »

Linux update downloads usually cause lots of data to be downloaded.
Data downloading via a mobile phone provider (2G, 3G, 4G) is expensive.
Data downloading via a wireless router's WiFi connection (or ethernet) is cheap or, more typically, free or unmetered.

Is there any way in Linux to cause update downloads to happen only when connected via ethernet or via WiFi, and prevented from happening when the only connection is via a mobile phone provider.

Alternatively, what's the best way of turning of Linux updates when the only connection is via a mobile phone provider?

(The same question applies to Windows updates to a PC or laptop, and to a lesser extent to an Android mobile phone.)
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Linux: preventing updates from downloading

Post by Leif »

I don't know about the rest, but my HTC Android mobile has a setting to limit updates (and separately, all internet connection) to when there is a WiFi connection. Check your settings, in mine it is under 'Mobile data' : 'Use my data plan when Wi-Fi isn't available' (ON/OFF)
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Leif - I'll hunt there!
John Gray

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

John, see "How To Make Android Apps Update Via Wi-Fi Only" if you are not familiar with the setting.

Regarding Windows updates to a PC or laptop:
I don't think there is a way Windows update can identify how you've connected to the internet and decide to download updates or not. However, I did read something about using your Anti-Virus software to attempt to control this. For example, in Kaspersky, each network can have firewall rules where you can enable and disable applications allowed on that specific network connection. I have never attempted this so it is just theoretical advice....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Rudi!

The Windows update problem looks as though it will require Windows Updates to be turned off manually for the time when not ethernet or WiFi-connected. Messing with firewalls seems a bit much.

Probably the same will apply to Linux, and I just have to research how it is possible!
John Gray