My image sizes are fluctuating!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

My image sizes are fluctuating!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I downloaded a huge image 8+MB from “Transilien_Île-de-France_map.jpg”.
I decided to reduce its size slightly so it would fit onto my 8GB memory key.
OK; in typing that I can see that I was confused about the size, so the original purpose of the exercise is dissipated, but I’m still puzzled over what I saw:-

In File Explorer I made a copy of the file (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) to “Transilien_Île-de-France_map - Reduced.jpg”.
I then opened this file to edit with MSPaint (Win7).
In MSPaint I selected all (Ctrl-A), dragged the map up and to the left about an inch or so, reduced the height and width by an inch or so, and then saved the edited file. (If you want to be pedantic, I was trimming the image to the borders of the pink line, and getting rid of extraneous image material outside Zone 5 of the Translinean Network)
Untitled.png
To my surprise the “reduced” file is about 50% larger than the unedited file.
I experimented by reopening the reduced file in MSPaint and saving it as a PNG.
The PNG version is about 700% larger than the unedited file.

What’s going on here?
Is the original file carefully crafted to optimize storage space? If so then my edits using MSPaint presumably leave debris around, much as does MSWord or the VBA editor.

(signed) “Curious” of Toronto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: My image sizes are fluctuating!

Post by DaveA »

First problem, is MS Paint is the worst program you could used.
The jpg are converted to the Paint (bitmap) format to do any editing and then save in a new jpg format which will now make the files size bigger.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_(software" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

What you need is a "Image resizer" like Image resizer from the Windows XP Power Toys at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =powertoys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few Windows 7 and now 8 image resizers that work.

I use https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I second Dave's comments about Paint. MS Paint is an archaic app that cannot even compare to the most basic of Photo Editing software (and freeware) out there. I know this is said IMHO, but it would be so much more worth your while to install anything else for your photo editing needs than to use Paint. A VERY simple (and ALL in one) application I can recommend is PhotoScape. It is even easier to use than MS Paint and has some amazing capabilities that other more impressive photo editors cannot do.

-- See all about PhotoScape here...
-- For the other Photo Editor options I'd recommend to see this list...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

While both Dave & Rudi's suggestions will help Chris I think he will be more comfortable using IrfanView for image viewing and resizing. I say this because IrfanView's GUI is very much 'old school'. Even so it does the job.

IrfanView has both a resize option (Click Image | Resize/Resample...) and a dedicated 'Save for Web' option (Click File | Save for Web... (Plugin)). The latter is excellent at downsizing images from many MBs to only a few KBs yet still preserving quality. It's how I resize all my 10MB (or greater) digital photos before I post them in Scuttlebutt.

Ken

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

stuck wrote:While both Dave & Rudi's suggestions will help Chris I think he will be more comfortable using IrfanView for image viewing and resizing. I say this because IrfanView's GUI is very much 'old school'. Even so it does the job.

IrfanView has both a resize option (Click Image | Resize/Resample...) and a dedicated 'Save for Web' option (Click File | Save for Web... (Plugin)). The latter is excellent at downsizing images from many MBs to only a few KBs yet still preserving quality. It's how I resize all my 10MB (or greater) digital photos before I post them in Scuttlebutt.

Ken
I can only add "me too" to this comment (and express surprise that Chris seems to have missed all the recommendations for Irfanview here over the years.)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:First problem, is MS Paint is the worst program you could use.... There are a few Windows 7 and now 8 image resizers that work.
Hi Dave, and thanks. I think I remember you telling me that a few years back :guilty:

I have and use VSO Image Resizer to reduce digital camera photos etc. I was using MSPaint because I wanted to manually trim the area around the actual railway lines.

I see a recommendation for a better editor, so i will d/l and essay with that. :thankyou:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:-- See all about PhotoScape here...
Thanks Rudi; Photoscape is being d/l as I type.
BONUS: I get to d/l the program rather than a 163Kb downloader.
I always prefer to have the full program spinning at 7200 rpm.
That way I can reinstall as a stable platform.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:... I think he will be more comfortable using IrfanView ...
Thanks Ken; this sounds like a replacement for VSOImageResizer.
I'm d/l it, too, while we squeak.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:... surprise that Chris seems to have missed all the recommendations for Irfanview here over the years.)
Hi Jon. You are right; I have missed the comments, but that may be because I was using VSOImage Resizer (why change when you don't have to).
You will read from my earlier responses that, tail between my legs :grin: I am getting up to date, perhaps only as recent as May 2014, but closer than, now, let me see, 1990?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I downloaded a huge image 8+MB from “Transilien_Île-de-France_map.jpg”...
OK.
My first essay in Photoscape:
Untitled.png
I loaded the 8MB image in photoscape, Used Ctrl-Click to outline a reduced area, clicked CROP and used the saveAs function.
The new file is about 50% larger than the original.

I'm going to play a bit more with this package.
Right now I suspect that whatever-software Translinean used to produce the map is super-good at super-optimising the image size (especially as it is going to be so large a file) that any change immediately will have to make things worse (in terms of size on disc).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I'm d/l it, too, while we squeak.
:rofl: :rofl: Chris, this is a beautiful typo.... Love it :thumbup: :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I downloaded a huge image 8+MB from “Transilien_Île-de-France_map.jpg”.
My first effort in IrfanView
Untitled.png
:clapping: :clapping:
That's more like it!
In IrfanView I selected the reduced area with the mouse, chose CropSelection from the Edit menu, savedAs and bingo!
The image is not only smaller on the screen (and so smaller on my T-shirt-to-be!), but is smaller on the disc.

I'm cogitating; perhaps IfranView knows more about maintaining original image techniques than does Photoscape.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:I'm d/l it, too, while we squeak.
:rofl: :rofl: Chris, this is a beautiful typo.... Love it :thumbup: :laugh:
It wasn't a typo.
Since we are dealing with graphics software, I was using un ratón in place of the keyboard! :evilgrin:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Typo or not... It made my evening :thankyou:
Regards,
Rudi