Slideshow for Android.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Slideshow for Android.

Post by Peter Kinross »

I have purchased a 24" LED TV that I use as a picture viewer. This smart TV uses Android.
I am looking for an Android app that will play a looped slideshow from a wifi networked folder.
On Google Play there are over 50 almost identical slideshow apps. Only one of them plays from a networked folder, 'Screensaver Photo Frame' (SPF), all the rest require me to save a completed compiled slideshow which it will then play. As I add pics weekly that is not really an option. Sadly SPF is a bit fragile, I have to re-set it up at least weekly, so I'm still looking.
In windows, IrfanView does what I want, also FastStone Image Viewer as mentioned by Hans does it. Probably heaps more in windows, but I know of no others in Andriod.
If any of you loungers have come across anything, please let me know.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Slideshow for Android.

Post by jonwallace »

I think if you install ES File Explorer as your file manager, then it can be configured to read from the network and display your images as a slideshow.
(Disclaimer: I'm at work and can't try this)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Hey, thanks Jon. I'll try it out. (I hope it's a :clapping: )

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Before trying it, I thought I would email the developer and ask them if it would work.
i have just done that.
Will keep you informed.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have ES File Explorer installed on my phone so I gave this a quick test.
It will definitely display a looped slideshow, using the pictures in my camera folder.
I can't currently get it to connect to my home PC to test that a slideshow works with a WiFi folder. It has connected in the past, but is being difficult today.
StuartR

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

What a wealth of experience and knowledge there is on this site.
Thanks Stuart. Most modern TVs that I have tested, have the native ability to play a looped slideshow from an attached device - be that HD , USB stick etc. However, they all seem to have a limit of about 300 pics. Crazy, but all the ones I have tested (quite a few) are the same. As I have over 3000 pics, and growing, that is not an option.
The BIG test is doing it using an app, over a Wi-Fi network, and that is where there are very, very few apps (I was under the impression - only 1) to chose from. You said that you were having probs with connecting to your network. That is what I am trying to overcome, fragile operation over Wi-Fi. Maybe Android is just plain awful at Wi-Fi networking. Although that would seem highly improbable without the whole world coming down like a ton of bricks on Android, which I haven't observed.
I would greatly appreciate it If you could let me know how you go if you do finally get connected.
According to the developer (a really helpful chap), the app I currently use, 'Screensaver Photo Frame', wasn't designed for use on a TV, although it does have 'Full HD' ability. At first, he was amazed it worked, then after some thought, he said that he couldn't think of any reason that it wouldn't. But the app is quite dated - he wrote it several years ago, and hasn't updated it. Thus I guess my problems arise from the app not taking account of Android's better features as Android has been updated over time.