does any one know...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

does any one know...

Post by stuck »

...how I can legitimately obtain a genuine copy of a Word 2000 CD? I used to have one, it came with an OEM Works 2000 package but I can't find it anywhere. I've got the certificate of authenticity with the magic key on it but no disk.

I suppose eBay is the only hope.

Why do I want such an ancient piece of software? It's too long a story to type out here, just humour me, please.

I've not tried phoning MS as yet but I may resort to that even though I'm fairly confident that they will laugh in my face.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: does any one know...

Post by HansV »

Have you tried Amazon?
S0786.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Wow! I never thought to look there, it didn't occur to me that something this old would be still be for sale.

Ken

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I have original discs of Office 2000 Small Business and Office 2000 SR-1 Patch, and I can make copies -- it isn't the disc that Microsoft worries about, it's the product key and its activation. I suspect, though, that buying from Amazon UK would be faster and cost not much more than mailing discs from the US.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I may yet not need the master CD after all as I found that the old PC I'm messing with (and on which the OEM Works 2000 (in Word 2000) suite is installed) has a (nuclear) restore to factory option.

I knew there was no data on the machine so I did the reset. Not had chance to see what that's done yet but perhaps I will by the end of the week.

Meanwhile watch out for a post on the 'Older Windows Versions' board :laugh:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves will be watching your threads avidly!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Before I can make such a post I have to see if I can install a wifi dongle so the PC can talk to my router and thus get to the outside world because it has no network card / on-board networking, it only has a 56K dial up modem in it.

I'm confident this can be done as I have previously got the dongle working on a Win98 laptop and this box is running Win ME.

No, my beloved wife does NOT understand why I am doing all this. Why she can't see the fun in the challenge of it all I don't know :shrug:

:rofl:

Ken