Two wireless routers, with one just for printing?

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
William
StarLounger

Two wireless routers, with one just for printing?

Post by William »

In my present set-up I have a cable modem, and a Belkin wireless router (this one, I think - I'm not at home now so I can't be certain). The router has only ethernet ports. I also have a Brother mono, laser printer, which has only a USB connection.

A friend has offered me a second-hand D-Link wireless router, which seems to have a built-in print server, and which I could connect to my printer with a USB cable (it's this router).

So now I'm wondering if it's possible to use two wireless routers, with one just for printing (and not connected to the modem). I don't want to use the D-Link router I've been offered as my only router, as he says it can be temperamental - it's been dropped a couple of times! I'm also not worried if printing is slow, as the printing we do is usually only a page or two at a time. The two routers would also be physically close, if there's a need to connect them using an ethernet cable.

Is this a goer?

Please excuse me if some of my terminology isn't quite right. Most of this is new to me. :grin:

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Two wireless routers, with one just for printing?

Post by Claude »

I can't see why that wouldn't work, alas, I can't guarantee it. I haven't touched a D-link product for over a decade; reason: had a unopened box on my shelf as a replacement (in case my current one fails), needed it, it was a DOA (dead on arrival) and they didn't want to replace it because I had it for more than six month. :hello:
Cheers, Claude.

William
StarLounger

Post by William »

That's good enough for me. I suppose I should just give it a whirl anyway and see what happens.

I'm sure that this dodgy router will cost me a couple of flagons, but if I offer to help him empty them, it should end well one way or another! :cheers:

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Oy! you haven't found the keys to my wine cellar, have you ???
Cheers, Claude.

William
StarLounger

Post by William »

Not yet, but I'll be over the ditch later this year so if you could just leave them in the letter box I'd really apppreciate it! :evilgrin: