Keyboard language sometimes changes.

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Keyboard language sometimes changes.

Post by NotQuite »

Hi there all,

I hope that this is posted in the correct forum. From time to time the my keyboard seems to change languages. It is easy enough for me to change it back to English but I am wondering if I am inadvertently hitting a keyboard combination shortcut that changes it from English Standard ? Also is there a way to remove any languages other than English from the mix ??? That would solve the problem altogether.

Thanks in advance
NotQuite
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Keyboard language sometimes changes.

Post by Jay Freedman »

The exact steps depend on the version of Windows. I have Win 7 and Win 8.1 to look at, but if yours is earlier you might have to use the "Helpless" system to find the right entry point.

In Win 7, click Start > Control Panel > Region and Language. In the dialog, click the Keyboards and Languages tab. Click the Change keyboards button. In the next dialog, select a language other than English and click the Remove button. Click OK. Back in the Region and Language dialog, click the Install/uninstall languages button. In the next dialog, click Uninstall display languages. Select a language and uninstall it.

In Win 8.1, press the Windows key and X together, then click Control Panel > Language. Click a language other than English, and click Remove in the bar at the top of the list.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Try the (left hand) Shift and Alt keys together - that should toggle keyboard language for XP, Vista and W7.
Leif

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

Thanks to both Jay and Leif. That works !!!!!
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
19 Dec 2013, 15:25
Try the (left hand) Shift and Alt keys together - that should toggle keyboard language for XP, Vista and W7.
Thank you Leif.
I followed various web-based suggestions about "Settings, Region, Language, Keyboard" and the like, none of which fixed my problem of the double-quote (to the right of my semi-colon) producing the at-sign (shifted top-row numeric 2).
My machine has been flipping, I now suspect on account of responding to emails and forums while in bed first thing each morning, without my recently-purchased keyboard. Since the left-shift on the laptop doesn't shift alphabetics, it seems as if occasionally Win10 recognizes it when I try to do e.g. Ctrl+Shift+arrow, forgetting that that left-shift is wonky.
Thanks again
Chris
Untitled.png
(two days later) I am now seeing a pop-up when I accidentally hold down LeftShift+Alt.
I have too many languages installed after reading too many "did this help?" web pages.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace