What Happened to Categories?

Ailios
Lounger

What Happened to Categories?

Post by Ailios »

I'm grudgingly moving us to Outlook 2007 from older versions of Outlook 2000 and 2003. Our Exchange upgrade is forcing my hand.

In the prior versions we love and cherish, the task items had a spot at the bottom to type in a category. I'm not finding it now in Outlook 2007 items. That's been a key piece for our assistants to enter the client name or number in that spot so their task items could be viewed by category. They need this ability so they can find and view all tasks related to a client or matter. Where did it go? Can I get it back? If I can't get it back, what can I offer them in return?
Daisy

HansV
Administrator

Re: What Happened to Categories?

Post by HansV »

You can set up categories in the main Outlook window by selecting Actions | Categorize | All Categories.
If you upgrade from an older version, the categories from that version will be converted to color categories.
In a "blank" new installation, you'll only have a small number of color categories (Blue, Green, Orange, Purple, Red and Yellow).

To categorize the selected task, select Actions | Categorize and point to the appropriate category. Alternatively, right-click the task and select Categorize from the popup menu.

There is a "By category" view available in the left hand pane.

When you open a task by double-clicking it, Categorize is available in the ribbon.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Microsoft Outlook Categories, Configure categories in Outlook 2007, & Color Categories - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online for discussions on the subject. I'm afraid you aren't going to like what you read.

Joe
Joe

Ailios
Lounger

Post by Ailios »

JoeP wrote:See Microsoft Outlook Categories, Configure categories in Outlook 2007, & Color Categories - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online for discussions on the subject. I'm afraid you aren't going to like what you read.

Joe
You're right about that. Most of these assistants use categories and they have 100 or more of them. Argh. Has anyone else had this problem and found an answer that's not too painful? I'm afraid right now it's a lot of clicks to create a category.
Daisy