Smilies in Outlook

Rudi
gamma jay

Smilies in Outlook

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Can one use smilies in Outlook? I have never had the chance to test it, and my wife asked me this morning if it is possible. Also, where does this forum get it's smilies as she is particularly interested in a few of them that display on the right of a new thread?

TX
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Smilies in Outlook

Post by HansV »

The smilies we use are the original smilies from Woody's Lounge. They are stored on our server.
You can download a smilie to your hard disk by right-clicking it and selecting Save Image As or Save Picture As from the context menu.
It can then be inserted in an Outlook message by selecting Insert | Picture.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If I save a smilie from the context menu, it saves as a *.php file?? I would like the actual movement of the smilie which should be *.gif if i am not mistaken. Any advice? TX
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Rudi wrote:If I save a smilie from the context menu, it saves as a *.php file?? I would like the actual movement of the smilie which should be *.gif if i am not mistaken. Any advice? TX
In firefox the option "Save Link As..." saves a php file, "Save Image As..." saves the image as a gif file. There are similar options in other browsers.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You must be careful to right-click on the smilie itself, not on its surroundings, and to select Save Image As or Save Picture As (depending on your browser); this should save it as a .gif file.
x57.png
It works in Internet Explorer and Firefox, I haven't tested it in other browsers. Firefox also has an option Copy Image in the right-click menu.

Note: if you use Word as e-mail editor in Outlook (which is the only option in Outlook 2007), animation won't work in e-mails...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Sorry...my error. I was using "Save Link As". As you both pointed out, "Save image as" works well. (Stupid me!)

Hans, Tx for that extra info about Word as email editor. I'll have to see if I can get around that somehow! (For my wife's sake!)
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If she's using Outlook 2003 or earlier, she can turn off Word as e-mail editor in the Mail Format tab of Tools | Options...
If she's using Outlook 2007 there's no way to do that.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The animation will not be able to be viewed in Outlook 2007, but if you do want to see the animation of smilies and emoticons etc, then open the email message and click on Other actions and choose View in Browser. This will show the email message in a browser window with the animation working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi