Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Re: Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

Post by geecee »

Another useful programme I found at Majorgeeks was RoboSizer but I had to go to the RoboSizer website to download because the registration key which came with the Majorgeeks download failed.

From the RoboSizer website:
Automatically resize and optimize your pictures.
RoboSizer offers fully automatic, on-the-fly image optimization that completely eliminates the need to manually resize your photos. Unlike other resizing applications, RoboSizer works in real-time and automatically resizes images when they need to be resized!
Just attach your images to an email, instant message or upload them to the web, and RoboSizer will automatically optimize them for you! There is nothing to configure, no additional steps to take - just send your images like you always do and RoboSizer will do the rest!
This is the image I wanted to attach to an email which I sent to myself as a test.
Image_128.jpg
This is the image I received in the email as per my settings in the RoboSizer UI.
Image_128_Robosized.png
This is the RoboSizer User Interface.
Screenpresso_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks for the suggestions on these compression apps. I couldn't help to notice that you remain with a Xmas theme. Are you one for "that time of year" :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Post by geecee »

Yes Rudi. I suppose you could say that. I do like Christmas time though it's not quite the same here - at the beginning of Summer and no snow - as it is in the UK. The pictures are from a collection I have acquired over time from the internet and from which I make my own Christmas cards.
George

(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

WizTree - shows how space is used on your disc - amazingly fast.

I just wanted to share this amazing little program that is free, fast, and does exactly what it says. It is called WizTree.

I always wondered what, exactly, was consuming space on my disk and this shows it clearly. I have a 160GB SSD and it takes a second to scan it and provide the information. It takes 1.45 seconds to scan my 1.5TB drive. Pretty cool.
Don

geecee
3StarLounger

Post by geecee »

dasadler wrote: It is called WizTree.
Couldn't get it to work when downloaded from this site. Got the following notice: 'WizTree_1_07_setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application'

Downloaded from author's site via http://www.majorgeeks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

geecee wrote:Couldn't get it to work when downloaded from this site. Got the following notice: 'WizTree_1_07_setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application'
It worked for me at the authors site.
A more direct link to app on MajorGeeks: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wiztree.html
Or at SnapFiles, one of my fav. download sites: http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.p ... st=wiztree
Regards,
Rudi

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

dasadler wrote:WizTree - shows how space is used on your disc - amazingly fast.

I just wanted to share this amazing little program that is free, fast, and does exactly what it says. It is called WizTree.

I always wondered what, exactly, was consuming space on my disk and this shows it clearly. I have a 160GB SSD and it takes a second to scan it and provide the information. It takes 1.45 seconds to scan my 1.5TB drive. Pretty cool.
Many thanks for this. I was wondering how I managed to "junk up" my HD seemingly so fast. The "Top 1000" tab in this program showed a rogue file at the top, which also happened to have a wrong extension, which accounted for a third of my 1TB HD capacity! No idea what generated it, but it's history now! :evilgrin:

I still use the :free: SequoiaView for a pictorial view of my HD - picture is a thousand words and all that. It's Dutch so it must be good. :wink:

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Having referred to this app in another post, I thought it a good candidate to add to this thread:

Windows Movie Maker 2012 is a classy and really GOOD revamped version of the older versions, IMHO.

Download from Windows site here
Or from Windows Movie Maker here
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I just found an amazing little program for doing TEXT searches within various file types.

I have relied heavily on Everything (from Void Tools) for ALL of my file searches (and I'll continue to use Everything) as it is the most amazing and lightning fast app for anything on your PC, BUT it cannot find inside a file (as in the text content) if you are looking for that document containing a specific word.

Well this app searches for FILES (lightning fast too with a similar minimal index like Everything) but it also has a search INSIDE the file option.
I will continue to use Everything for Files, but on the occasion where I need to search inside a file...this app is AMAZING!

The app is called: FileSearchy (a good clean, easy to use interface...and a powerful (and fast search result)
Note: The file filter (checkboxes) is only available in the paid version. No other usage limits applicable for standard searches in the free version.
2014-01-14_12h45_48.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That looks promising! Please note that FileSearchy comes in two versions: Free and Pro. According to the website:
Free edition may be used only for private use at home and not for profit.
You must use Pro edition, if you want to use FileSearchy in a company environment.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you for the FileSearchy info.

I use Agent Ransack. I don't know if, or how, they differ significantly, but it is always good to have options :)
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

agibsonsw wrote:Thank you for the FileSearchy info.

I use Agent Ransack. I don't know if, or how, they differ significantly, but it is always good to have options :)
I can blast you with a few more options here... :laugh:

I have used Agent Ransack in the past, but it didn't really make a lasting impression on me.
FileSearchy did :wink:
Regards,
Rudi

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

FileSearchy looks good. I have been using Copernic Desktop Search Pro and been very happy with it. They do have a free version also but it will not search inside Outlook notes.
Don

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

If you are wondering what to do with your XP machines when Microsoft stops support I've discovered something you might be interested in. It's a Linux based operating system called Zorin.

This distro is amazingly similar to Windows 7. Although I haven't tried it there is also an interface that is similar to XP included with the system. If you're new to Linux or want to try it this is (IMHO) the distro you should use to get started. I've found it much more user friendly than Ubuntu.

I've set up Zorin on two laptops and a desktop that were previously running XP and they work like a champ. The installation package recognizes what drivers you need and installs them and mine worked perfectly. I had some concerns about the Wi-Fi but the installer figured it out and wireless works.

Zorin also recognizes your network, if you have one, and you can set up file sharing easily with Windows. Printer set-up is also easy. I didn't attach a printer to a computer running Zorin but can print on my network printer without problems.

Chrome is the browser that is installed with Zorin but you can go to the software center and download Firefox. (Glad to get rid of IE.)

The download is huge, (1.5) GB. You would think it would take a lot of power to run the OS but surprisingly it runs very well on a machine with only 512 Mb of memory.

I don't have stock in Zorin but found an alternative to Windows that works well and is free.
:music:

JB

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

This is a great program if you use your pc at night. http://justgetflux.com/
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

PhraseExpress just installed. Looks to be mighty useful for inserting phrases, email address and all manner of other stuff.
I am using it for inserting my email address into eg web pages ... I have such a difficult address that needs my stiff fingers to reach to all corners of the keypad :sad:

Worth a look at http://www.phraseexpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

BenCasey
4StarLounger

Post by BenCasey »

RonH wrote:PhraseExpress just installed. Looks to be mighty useful for inserting phrases, email address and all manner of other stuff.
I am using it for inserting my email address into eg web pages ... I have such a difficult address that needs my stiff fingers to reach to all corners of the keypad :sad:

Worth a look at http://www.phraseexpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cannot see any specific mention of MS Access on their site.
Does anybody know if it can be integrated into Access?
Thanks
Regards, Ben

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts."
- Richard Feynman

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

PhraseExpress runs in the background, so that it can interact with ALL applications. From their website:
PhraseExpress works in any application, e.g. for filling web forms, chat sessions or custom database applications -- not just in Office programs.
So it should work in Access too.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Roderunner wrote:This is a great program if you use your pc at night. http://justgetflux.com/
Not if your are for photo editing though! Having the colour temp of your monitor change would be a disaster in that case.

Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

stuck wrote: Not if your are for photo editing though! Having the colour temp of your monitor change would be a disaster in that case.

Ken
It can be switched off or disabled temporarily when ever you want.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.