Partition Manager to Remove GPT partitions under Win8

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Partition Manager to Remove GPT partitions under Win8

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I'll have more to say about Windows8 and today's computers in another thread(s). In the meantime I want my life back. :laugh:

The old 64-bit laptop is dead; I don't have/can't get the 25-character key.
I spent part of my pension :sad: on a real live CD. Two actually, a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of Win7 with SP1. I like having a real CD with a physically-protected key.
I spent part of my pension :sad: on a new laptop, 4GB 500GB and several GHz.
For a variety of reasons I want to install my new Win7SP1 on the new laptop.
I believe they are compatible.
But the Win7SP1 won't install because the C: partition is GPT.

I early on split the C: partition into a 226GB C drive (for Windows and programs) and a 224GB data drive.

I seek recommendations for a 64-bit partition manager from which I can create a bootable CD/DVD, from which I can reduce the (apparently) ten partitions to a single humungous 500+GB partition, then split off about 150 for C: and 350GB for data.

I previously made a bootable 3-DVD recovery set, using the Win8 prompting, and have successfully rebuilt the Win8 system from that; so I am back at the "factory" installation as of last night.
GPT02.png
This is what my Win8 computer looks like right now, more partitions than I want. I don't need those recovery partitions because I have no intention of returning to Win8 once I get Win7 installed.
GPT.png
This is what C: looks like when I right-click and choose Properties from File Manager/Windows Explorer/File Explorer.
Thanks in advance (but more thanks coming ...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Partition Manager to Remove GPT partitions under Win8

Post by viking33 »

Though I haven't used it, there is a method (s) to convert GBT disks to MBR, which Win 7 wants.
Seems pretty straight forward to use. After you convert the disk,then you can partition it the way you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26 ... -disk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:After you convert the disk,then you can partition it the way you want.http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26 ... -disk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for this, Bob. I'm at a public terminal at the moment, so I'll memorize everything offered in the link :laugh: and give the old Disk Management trick a try.
If that seems risky (as I try it) I'll grab my NetBook and grab the page and try again.
I'm curious (and I know that you may not know the answer); it's one thing to convert GPT partitions to MBR, but
(1) Can I do all of this while Win8, loaded from the GPT partition C:, is Running?
(2) Will I be able to merge all partitions into one partition, and then split that out?
I will find out, I guess.
Still and all I would be happier with a bootable partition manager, then I can sit back and FIX the hard drive in a relaxed state of mind.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Did you check to see if there are Windows 7 drivers for the machine? Getting drivers for notebooks can be tricky sometimes.

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:Did you check to see if there are Windows 7 drivers for the machine? Getting drivers for notebooks can be tricky sometimes.
Joe, thanks for this tip.
It will make sense for me to search and d/l drivers on the Win8 mc BEFORE loading Win7. Yay! for memory keys.

My fall back is the little cardboard-and-string netbook, but I'd rather spend time getting used to this keyboard!