Destroy MS Mouse

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Destroy MS Mouse

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. I made the mistake of letting Windows Update install Microsoft Mouse (and I believe Keyboard) drivers. The mouse now seems to change from being too fast, to too slow, to respond, and I don't need any of these "features" anyway.

If I look in the Windows Update list I can see these, but to uninstall them we go to a different view and, instead, it lists Security Updates on KB numbers etc.; that is, it isn't clear which installs refer to the MS Mouse, etc., updates.

How would you approach reliably removing these installs please? The don't appear in Revo Uninstaller's list, or start-up lists either.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Destroy MS Mouse

Post by HansV »

You should uninstall Microsoft IntelliPoint from the Programs and Features control panel. Isn't it listed there?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Would that it were!

I think it may have been listed as a "hardware update" when I clicked install.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows automatically creates a restore point before applying updates, so you could perform a system restore.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Ugh I have three restore points but the last is labelled "Critical Update". I think I'm stuck with this :groan:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

From when is the last restore point?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:From when is the last restore point?
Hi. About a week ago, which seems about right. I think perhaps if I uninstall it, Windows Update, will offer the critical parts (if any!) again..?

If I hit "Scan for Affected Programs" I get the screenshot which again seems "mouse-like"
sysrest.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

After performing the system restore, you can hide the update if it's offered again (right-click it and select Hide Update from the context menu).
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I don't know about Win 8 but under Win 7, CCleaner shows Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center as a separate line item under Tools\Uninstall?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

viking33 wrote:I don't know about Win 8 but under Win 7, CCleaner shows Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center as a separate line item under Tools\Uninstall?
Thank you. Unfortunately, it's not showing for me under W8. Maybe because it was considered a "Hardware Update" - or, more accurately, was listed by MS as such.

No mind, I'll go with the System Restore - I'll update in a bit :)

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just an update.

I went with the System Restore. It somehow managed to disable my Google Chrome plug-ins, but no worries.

I hid the mouse updates offered in Windows Update, but I was left with a persistent nag-message to "Finish updating drivers.." in the notification area, with no apparent way to remove this message. This was more annoying than the original problem I was trying to resolve, so I've re-installed the MS mouse software - back to square one.

Never mind, Doh! :)