Windows 8.1 Release Date Announced

Rudi
gamma jay

Windows 8.1 Release Date Announced

Post by Rudi »

WorldStart Tech Tips announcement...

The Windows 8.1 update release date was announced by Microsoft in a blog post. Starting October 18th, Windows 8 users can get a free update from the Windows Store. Windows 8.1 will also be available to purchases and on selected new devices on October 18, but that will roll out market by market.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Windows 8.1 Release Date Announced

Post by agibsonsw »

Will this bring back Titan Chess :scratch:

BTW I've been using the Classic Shell add-in that you recommended, it's very good. (The Search feature isn't as dynamic as Windows 7.)

I had trialled the StarDock (Start8?) add-in before this but I was suspicious about its stability. Classic Shell seems faultless so far.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I've been happy with classic shell too, and yes, the search feature is slower than the older Win7 version, so I've used SHIFT + Win button to switch to the tiles and then I run search from there...much speedier. When Win8.1 is released, I'll probably drop Classic Shell since 8.1 will have its own integrated start menu and search. I'm sure that will be faster again.

As for Titan Chess... (what is chess?)
Regards,
Rudi

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Windows 8.1 will have Start button that will take you to the start screen. The start screen is supposed to be easier to customize but there is no Start Menu as in older versions of Windows.

Joe
Joe

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In that case....i'll stay with classic shell.

The weird thing about it is that though i have classic shell installed, i hardly use it ??
The apps i use are pinned to the taskbar and when i need another app, i use Everything (a search app - i press a custom shortcut to activate), type the first few chars of the app and double click the found shortcut icon...

Its strange. Once the start button is gone, one quickly adopts a new convenient way to overcome the limitation, and when you are used to this method, you tend to ignore the start menu.... Its all in habits...
Regards,
Rudi