Windows 8 yeah or nay

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Windows 8 yeah or nay

Post by agibsonsw »

I hoped to be pointing out things to notice but, of course, have been moaning in the process :groan: a natural (human) phenomenon?

But there is nothing really earth-shattering, or anything that prevents me from getting on with my day. Not having a Close button still stands out though: ridiculous IMO.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have heard lots of negative things about Windows 8, and some people saying that it's not so bad and they can work round the missing functionality. I've not heard anyone enthusing about new features that make it better.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

StuartR wrote:I have heard lots of negative things about Windows 8, and some people saying that it's not so bad and they can work round the missing functionality. I've not heard anyone enthusing about new features that make it better.
Strange to say, but that is very well put Stuart. This should be made the quote of the week in the lounge!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:I have heard lots of negative things about Windows 8, and some people saying that it's not so bad and they can work round the missing functionality. I've not heard anyone enthusing about new features that make it better.
I'm also one of the unenthusiastic people regarding Win 8. ( add Facebook and Twitter ) :evilgrin: :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Since the topic has changed a bit.

Somehow all this about Windows 8 (i.e. an OS for all types of computers designed with touch based devices in mind) reminds me about images similar to the one in this article.

Since the whole OS is geared to touch screens they obviously had to flatten the UI; when people are supposed to touch those buttons and icons they can't be "3D" anymore ... I can't say that I agree with MS that the Aero looks cheesy.
agibsonsw wrote:But there is nothing really earth-shattering, or anything that prevents me from getting on with my day. Not having a Close button still stands out though: ridiculous IMO.
agibsonsw,
They've gone the minimalistic route lately; take a look at Office 2013 (it's of course no big surprise to find a match between the Office software and the OS).

We recently had some other thread about Windows 8, and I was contemplating to post this link there, but since this topic is active and all, after the initial questions have been answered: Features compromised in Windows 8

Can't say that all is true, some things have changed, but this blog post isn't updated; but you'll find plenty of comments about Windows Vista, 7 and 8; the author has posted several comments over at MS' forums as well; together with several others complained about, for example, auto sort in Explorer in Windows Vista and onwards.

Some say that we can arrange the start screen, put things into groups and give them names (8.1) etc. some even mention that we can pin programs to the Taskbar (as in Windows 7) or the Desktop, but one shouldn't have to put time into tweaking such basic things that should work out of the box.

Maybe it will develop into something useful, but couldn’t they have kept it until it was a bit more mature and "coherent".

(And by the way, as good as the Search box in the Start menu is in Windows 7, it does make navigating via accelerator keys (menu access keys), as in Windows XP etc. difficult.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you @Argus. There are lots of items in the linked page :)

The search feature was, IMO, the best feature of W7 and they should have developed it further (perhaps sorting the accelerator issue), rather than taking a backward step.

Quick question: I've disabled Automatic Updates as I prefer to do the updating myself. But the notification icon often has a symbol to indicate "Maintenance". What is this doing and is it using my broadband allowance to do its maintenance?

He, he Just noticed there is a ModernMix app that puts the W8 apps in windows with a close button. One step forward and two steps back :laugh:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

That's a great image, reproduced here
monkey_shape_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

agibsonsw wrote:The search feature was, IMO, the best feature of W7 and they should have developed it further (perhaps sorting the accelerator issue), rather than taking a backward step.
Yes, I do like the search box in Windows 7 (and how it's quicker than search in earlier versions etc.); the good thing with accelerator keys is that one can launch just about anything very quickly, (though shortcuts are quicker). I've started software without having a monitor connected. :noevil: :laugh:
agibsonsw wrote:Quick question: I've disabled Automatic Updates as I prefer to do the updating myself. But the notification icon often has a symbol to indicate "Maintenance". What is this doing and is it using my broadband allowance to do its maintenance?
I've not looked closer at that bit in Windows 8, but I think I saw something about some changes; but I guess it's defrag, Windows update and perhaps virus scans etc. as in earlier version. You can see this if you click on the link (maintenance settings) in the Action Center, as in Windows 7. Guess that if you've disabled AU there will be no major net activity.

A quick search tells me they have indeed been tweaking it in Windows 8.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you can disable, if you like, checking for solutions to error reports, and as with AU it will then minimize net activity; but I've not looked closer at it.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I've started software without having a monitor connected.
I once had to re-start my computer and navigate, and run, something in the Control Panel, without a monitor or mouse (although, the mouse wouldn't have been much use anyway). Bit of a challenge :)

As I recall I disabled the option to search for solutions when I setup my laptop. (I've attempted this quite a number of times in past - never once did it solve anything.)
I won't tinker with the Maintenance.

Off-topic I wasted a nifty increasing the RAM on my laptop. A pointless exercise: as someone said "any more than 4GB is a waste" and I already had 6. It is just a habit I acquired over the years, and was worthwhile previously when the installed RAM was 1 or 2 GB.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

As I've followed this thread I've seen the general theme of those that do not like the UI in Windows 8 have nothing good to say about it. I understand the reluctance to change. I've been using Windows 8 since it RTM'ed on a daily basis. I admit that I spend > 80% of my time in the desktop. I have found that I don't miss the Start menu. I've rearranged the Start screen to suit the way I normally use the PC @ home & @ work. I can get to the Start screen with the Windows key when I need to. I've pinned the programs I most frequently use to the taskbar and that handles most of what I want to do. I put the desktop icon at the top left of the Start screen. On the infrequent occasion that I boot the system I just need to hit "enter" to get to the desktop. If you have a favorite program you always start after a boot you could put that icon at the top left. I've had a fairly minimalist desktop for a number of years so I have only a few icons on the desktop - more @ home than @ work. I too do not especially like the way search works but I know that it is changing in Windows 8.1.

As for some things I like:
1.) I've not had some of the network file system slow downs that I experienced with Vista & Win7.
2.) My work system is a test bed that gets a lot of software installed and uninstalled. It has remained very solid no stability issues.
3.) There is a flaky problem with AMD video drivers on both systems but both PCs recover from a video driver problem without requiring a reboot. They have different video cards so I attribute the problem to AMD. I appreciate the resiliency. The driver problems have persisted since Windows 8 was first installed and through several driver updates.
4.) Windows 8 even recognized an old Epson printer I have at home and an old HP printer at work. Both printers work fine.
5.) I'm fine with the UI. If you spend most of your time on the desktop you don't see the flatness anyway. I think you adjust to it quickly anyway. I've almost always got multiple programs running so I don't miss the Aero stuff. When I use a Win7 system at work I don't even notice it.
6.) I like the new Task Manager. It shows a lot more information and allows you to stop & start services from there.
7.) While different and take some adjustment, I like the new backup and recovery features. The file history stuff is really good. I used "previous versions" in prior Windows versions and like this better.

Joe
Joe

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Argus wrote:Somehow all this about Windows 8 (i.e. an OS for all types of computers designed with touch based devices in mind) reminds me about images similar to the one in this article.
:rofl: - If Stuart had the quote of the week, then this certainly is the pic of the week.
Excellent Argus!!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.