Windows 8 yeah or nay

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Windows 8 yeah or nay

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you both :)
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Impressions after 2 days:
  • These Windows 8 Tiles should have a second layer. They could use a circle, or just a slightly different looking square, which opens a second set of Tiles.
  • Each of these W8 apps should have a close/cross that fades in as we point to the top-right, or the Escape key should close.
  • Or this Close button code appear in the settings panel (the one that pops-up on the right).
  • The settings panel should appear if we move the mouse anywhere off the right of the screen, not just at the top or bottom-right.
  • The settings panel should have something more useful than Share and Devices.
  • The Start image at the bottom-left should be clickable, at least for 1/2 second; I keep moving into the image and end up clicking the Explorer icon behind it. (I'm using the Windows key now as it was getting too annoying.)
  • I want 3 panel-columns sometimes, not always 4.
  • The word Start at the top-left should do something when I click - I don't care what!
I would also like to drag-and-drop a Tile upwards and have it start in the background - that would be cool :)

Hints:
In the Start View (or whatever it's called) we can press Home or End to jump to the beginning or end of the panels.
Page-Up and Down jump a full screen-full at a time.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Impressions after 2 days:
  • These Windows 8 Tiles should have a second layer. They could use a circle, or just a slightly different looking square, which opens a second set of Tiles.
  • Each of these W8 apps should have a close/cross that fades in as we point to the top-right, or the Escape key should close.
    I agree with these two points. The second layer of tiles can be cool, esp. so that you do not need to swipe several times to the right.
  • The settings panel should appear if we move the mouse anywhere off the right of the screen, not just at the top or bottom-right.
    No, no....This would make it even MORE frustrating than it already is! I'm already using Classic Shell to disable these hot corners!
  • The Start image at the bottom-left should be clickable, at least for 1/2 second; I keep moving into the image and end up clicking the Explorer icon behind it. (I'm using the Windows key now as it was getting too annoying.)
    Agreed...I have many times done this too. Its a mental thing to learn to click in the corner, but when one sees the tile appear you tend to want to move your mouse onto its center to click..thats when it disappears. Also disabled now with Classic Shell. (Good riddance!)
  • I want 3 panel-columns sometimes, not always 4.
    This is resolved in the upcoming Windows 8.1. In this version you have complete control over the tiles (their size, placement and colour).
  • The word Start at the top-left should do something when I click - I don't care what!
    How about shutting down the PC. Similar to using the start button to access shut down in the older start menus. (Controversial as MSFT can be - LOL )
  • I would also like to drag-and-drop a Tile upwards and have it start in the background - that would be cool :)
    I agree....
How are you coming along with shortcut keys?

Some of the better ones to know from day 1 are:
Windows Key: Access the tiles screen (and instant type to search)
Windows Key + X: Brings up a menu of advanced system options, including Windows Control Panel, Command Prompt, Task Manager and File Explorer.
Windows Key + W: Opens universal search menu and sets it to search settings.
Windows Key + E: Opens File Explorer to the “My Computer” view which shows all your drives.
Windows Key + C: Displays Charms menu.
Windows Key + P: Switch to projector or multi-monitor mode.
Ctrl+scroll wheel: Zoom in or out of a large number of items, like apps pinned to the Start screen
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Rudi, and thanks for the shortcuts.

I agree about the settings panel (or whatever it's called Charms Menu - but I won't be calling it that). I was thinking "if it is going to come up at all" it should be if I move to the right, off the screen. But, as you say, I realise how annoying this would be. I'm not using it anyway as it doesn't have much that is useful on it. Well, the Settings button.. but they could have made the panel more useful.

Do MS not do any research to find out want people want, will like and will use? Why issue Windows 8 then use 8.1 to remove, and correct, a number things? Doh!

Andy

Also.. why do I have to drag the application, using the hand, all the way to the bottom of the screen to close it? What's up with that!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Also.. why do I have to drag the application, using the hand, all the way to the bottom of the screen to close it? What's up with that!
LOL - Thats a lot of real estate to cover if you have a LARGE screen!!! :shrug:
Regards,
Rudi

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I can close one of these Windows 8 apps by going back to Start or the Desktop, pointing to the far-top-left corner, moving down, then right-click a thumbnail, then Close. What nonsense!?

Much more useful: Move to the far-bottom-left to reveal the Start thumbnail, right-click it to reveal the Advanced System menu (same as WinKey-X).

I will install the Shell app eventually. Thought I'd trial Stardock Start8 first though. It has more of a Windows 8 look so might help the transition (not free but only a few quid; 30 day trial period). (Windows 8.1 won't be released until September or October apparently, and isn't a panacea apparently.)

It just occurred to me that removing, or hiding, previously useful features was a ploy by MS to persuade people to develop Win 8 apps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

About closing apps...
If you have the app active, I think you can use a hotkey: ALT + F4 to close it too. Better than dragging or right clicking.
Regards,
Rudi

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Rudi wrote:About closing apps...
If you have the app active, I think you can use a hotkey: ALT + F4 to close it too. Better than dragging or right clicking.
Hi, yes, I'm a shortcut key guy but there should be a simple close option somewhere.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Other than what we have covered, there is not much more to choose from. :sorry:
Regards,
Rudi

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I uninstalled that StarDock thing. I was a little suspect of it, noticing one or two tiny little odd things. Perhaps it was just me, but I'll leave this for a while as well.

There is still some weird logic in W8. When we click the minus sign at the bottom-right in shrinks the Tiles. Fair enough, but if we just point at it, without clicking, it shows the Charms thingy. If we click the minus sign and then click the same location where the cursor is, the full Start menu doesn't come back: we have to click the blue background.

So far, WinKey-W seems the most useful thing (thank you!) - but this was the feature that we already had in Windows 7; more so, because it searched everything.

Anyway, if I uncover anything really useful I'll report back to the lounge :cheers:

BTW What's wrong with the attached image? Am I On or Off..? I mean, we should move the block to the left to turn it on, yes? Not an accessibility feature either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

What happens if you slide the black bar to the left? Does the word "On" turn to "Off"?
Leif

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Leif wrote:What happens if you slide the black bar to the left? Does the word "On" turn to "Off"?
Actually it does...
SP1-Thu,8-8.png
Regards,
Rudi

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

There's nothing like actually trying something, is there? :laugh:
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But why the apparently confusing interface? What's wrong with a check box? Or two radio buttons, one for Off and one for On? Does Microsoft think touch screen users are too dumb to understand those?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Probably because 'swipe' is the new 'black', or something :crazy:
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps this would have been clearer:
SwipeButtons.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Or even this:
SwipeButtons 2.png
Leif

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Sometimes :confused: - Thats even more confusing than the real thing :laugh:

BTW: Great art work!!
Regards,
Rudi

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

There is an interesting article here at theregister about Windows 8.1.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I've already gotten used to Win 8 over the few months I've been using it and sometimes think the fuss that people have made over it is trivial, however, I must say that I am looking forward to this newer version. I think the changes and additions that have been made is great and I'm eager to take it for a drive (so to speak!).
Regards,
Rudi