Vista Administrators

RonH
SilverLounger

Vista Administrators

Post by RonH »

Before I purchased a Windows 7 pc a couple of years ago, I used a Vista pc which is now my lady's ... she only needs basic features but I needed more processor etc grunt for video editing.
I have retained some of my old files on the Vista as just in case 'fallback' and stayed as the 'Administrator', making the additional account for my lady a basic account. I have since also changed her account to Administrator, making it easier for me to do various software updates etc.

Is it OK to have two Administrator type accounts or should I /can I downgrade my account on this pc to a basic account :scratch: I rarely use this pc except for helping out to install update software. Both accounts are password protected.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Vista Administrators

Post by viking33 »

Don't see why you can't have two admins?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

You should have two Administrator accounts (perhaps "at least"), because if one administrator profile gets screwed up, you can recover things using the second one.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I hope that neither of these is the "System Administrator" account that is the one made by the system.

One can have as many as they want that are members of the Admin group, but, there can be ONLY 1 system Administrator account that is made by the system. Even if one was to RENAME this account another can NOT be made.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

DaveA wrote:.. there can be ONLY 1 ...
Just don't start pulling out long swords from your jackets and chopping each others heads off... :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

What responses :evilgrin:
Hey ... I don't even know how to check if I am (in my original account set up) using what you call the 'System Administrator'. Offers?
Certainly my lady's is set as Administrator now in the Control Panel/User Accounts set up which can't be the 'top level' Admin ... can it?

Thanks for inputs
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

From memory, in Vista, when you boot into safe mode, you get the option of logging in as system administrator. I haven't got a Vista PC anymore so I can't verify this though.
Cheers, Claude.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Claude wrote:From memory, in Vista, when you boot into safe mode, you get the option of logging in as system administrator. I haven't got a Vista PC anymore so I can't verify this though.
Never done that so I must be a 'normal' Administrator :fanfare:
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.