Switching out of "S mode" in Windows 11

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Switching out of "S mode" in Windows 11

Post by ChrisGreaves »

"Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 or Windows 11 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode."

I can see the need for this switch, especially in establishments with a pool of computers (high schools, libraries, universities and so on)

To further my understanding of system restores and the like
Question 1: Will a Factory Reset (from the recovery partition) reset this switch?
Question 2: Failing that, would a BIOS/UEFI reset reset this switch?
Question 3: Failing that, would a partition delete and re-creation reset this switch?

If the answers are NO, then I assume that Microsoft stores a record of the hardware identification of my PC and checks that for the switch.

Thanks, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Switching out of "S mode" in Windows 11

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But a more important question is: why would you want to go back to S mode at all?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 14:37
But a more important question is: why would you want to go back to S mode at all?
From the link above "The only way to go back to S mode is to run Factory Recovery or another System Image that you created before you switched out of S mode." which I think answers my question.
I am curious about the situations that surround System Recovery; in this case with special reference to this S mode switch.

You know me, I'll be out of S mode within sixty seconds of installing and testing my system restoration procedures. How can I be expected to work without Everything, Veracrypt, Firefox and Word2003/VBA. I have doubts that Word2003 is available from the Microsoft Store!

Now If/when I next set up a computer training centre it will probably be "S mode all-the-way" (grin) for the students.

Update: I have read the first half of the first column in the second panel of the tri-fold and been redirected to six manuals, each of which I have downloaded and skimmed. There is talk about a fingerprint detector, but I have not yet opened the laptop lid, so I know not if I have such a device. After lunch and my post-lunch nap I might open the laptop ...

Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 15:30
"The only way to go back to S mode is to run Factory Recovery or another System Image that you created before you switched out of S mode" ...
I thought it might be of interest to see what happens to third-party applications when the "S mode" is reinstated, but since that can only happen after a system reset it follows (I think) that while the system is in that initial "S mode" state only MS apps can have been installed, and so it follows that after the factory reset with that switch intact, there can be no 3rd-party apps to explore.
Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 15:34
I thought it might be of interest to see what happens...
Isn't that the sort of tinkering that leads to bullets in the foot?

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 15:30

Update: I have read the first half of the first column in the second panel of the tri-fold and been redirected to six manuals, each of which I have downloaded and skimmed. There is talk about a fingerprint detector, but I have not yet opened the laptop lid, so I know not if I have such a device. After lunch and my post-lunch nap I might open the laptop ...

Cheers, Chris
Did I miss something in this saga? It looks like you may have purchased a new laptop. Am I reading this correctly?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 16:06
Isn't that the sort of tinkering that leads to bullets in the foot?
Yes Ken, indeed it is.
But some of my best learning in life has been taken in by doing rather than theorizing.
In terms of the out-of-the-box restore of a system, I had my best efforts with a bootable recovery/installation disk; a tangible medium, separate from the computer.
I have leaned my lesson from last week's event, and am determined to satisfy myself that I have proper recovery techniques.

The "S mode" business I leaned about only this morning. I see "S mode" as an auxiliary test of my system recovery procedures. Not an essential test, but an opportunity.

In all of this I am encouraged by reading the fine-print in the warranty. Especially noting the address of the support facility. As we all know only good things come from this place:-
aleph.jpg
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 16:29
Did I miss something in this saga? It looks like you may have purchased a new laptop. Am I reading this correctly?
Hi Paul. Yes, yes, and yes, respectively.
Respectfully yours
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 14:10
"Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 or Windows 11 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode."
Library trip postponed until Wednesday, so today is national Setup ACER-3 Day. I wish.

Tuesday, August 29, 2023
Two objectives:-
(1) Use Macrium to make a bootable recovery key/disk on the Acer-3
(2) Use the Acer-3 to make an installation DVD from the Microsoft ICO

To Recap: I spent $500 on an Acer-3 Win 11 laptop in the hopes of creating an ISO with which I could recover my HP15. I realise that a "Staples" Acer-3 Win 11 Home edition is more of a toy than a serious computer, but all I wanted to do was download an ISO.

Details and extra links in attached DOCument.

I have never messed around with hives before, but after an hour of reading various "remove S-Mode" web pages I have found one that claims to do it.
Cut to the chase: How To Turn Off Windows S Mode Without Microsoft Account “Microsoft found a way to disable MY workaround (to removing S-Mode …”
I reached the 6m07s mark and was able to load regEdit.

Here I am in regEdit, but here I pause for advice.
Loading a recovery hive and saving it in Windows is a new procedure to me. ( 6m08s through to 9m 30s) at which point I note that he is running Win11 PRO – which I am not.
The instructions for the Hive operation seem straightforward, but before I go ahead and shoot myself in the other foot, I’d appreciate comments in this method.

Again, I think only the three minutes of video at ( 6m08s through to 9m 30s) are relevant to my fears at this point.

Thanks in anticipation.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Two further thoughts:
1. I don't need or care for Win11. Why not download a Win10 ISO using the Acer-3 terminal, and then install that Win10 on both the HP15 and the Acer-10 and buy two licenses?
2. Has my time finally come? I have been claiming for 20+ years that I just want to go on programming in Word2003-VBA. Will I be better off forgetting about Microsoft Windows and installing Mint/Linux/ or one of those operating systems if they promise to run my Office 2003 suite? Also Firefox.

I see the MSoft hurdles and obstacles increasing in number and height in the years ahead.
Cheers, Chris

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Would it not be much easier (and less risky) to simply sign in to your Microsoft Account and follow that simple procedure to disable S Mode?
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 14:04
2. Has my time finally come? I have been claiming for 20+ years that I just want to go on programming in Word2003-VBA. Will I be better off forgetting about Microsoft Windows and installing Mint/Linux/ or one of those operating systems if they promise to run my Office 2003 suite? Also Firefox.
Hmmm, not sure that would end your troubles: How to Install Microsoft Office on Linux
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 14:18
Would it not be much easier (and less risky) to simply sign in to your Microsoft Account and follow that simple procedure to disable S Mode?
Hi John. Yes it would be easier and less risky in the short term.
But I am a West Australian, a bit of a rebel you might say, and I object to Microsoft tightening its reins on me, especially when I can see no need for it.

Remember that this is still a Personal Computer, and yet, it is assumed that I bought this Personal Computer as part of a batch of 50 to be installed in a school. Or else it is assumed that I am a thoughtless teenage who clicks on every link I see and downloads games like "Sex Goddess of the Midnight Vampires" and the like.

I admit to doing thoughtless things; this is not the first time that I have shot myself in the foot.

The latest experiment by Microsoft to rein in malware does not fix the real problem, which was from the get-go that Windows was a vulnerable system, and by association, the more so were third-party developers who wrote applications to run under Windows.

Look at where we are now: I can't use a reputable program like Macrium or Acronis to effect a system backup.
My latest problem arose from NOT making a system backup.
Now when I try to make one in a recommended manner, Microsoft steps in and says that only its method can be used.
I tried that already and for some reason it did not work.

To my mind I should try an alternate method of system backup - and Macrium or similar are ideal candidates.

I suspect that stores who sell these laptops could be stood up against a wall on the grounds that their advertisements simply say "Windows laptop", without a caveat that they can only be used fully with a Microsoft Account. In other words, the computing system has not been purchased and is crippleware UNTIL a license of some sort is obtained from Microsoft.

I shan't complain about the time that has been wasted by me so far by not having, as we used to have, a bootable installation disk supplied with the operating system.

Cheers, but only just, :grin: Chris

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I will step away from this discussion Chris.

Your last post indicates (to me at least) that you are convinced that Microsoft is imposing restraints on you that you feel are unjust, and that you (having purchased a PERSONAL computer) should not be subject to any constraints that you feel limit your ability to perform actions which don't necessarily follow MS recommendations or procedures. Your statement that you "can't use a reputable program like Macrium or Acronis to effect a system backup" is NOT factual. You can certainly use either of these pieces of software, as you can most other "non Microsoft Store" software once you switch out of S Mode. You are simply objecting to the procedure that MS has prescribed for switching out of S Mode so that you CAN use these programs.

There are matters about which almost every user can complain regarding Microsoft, but when I see a statement that "I am a West Australian, a bit of a rebel you might say, and I object to Microsoft tightening its reins on me, especially when I can see no need for it", it makes me wonder which is more important to you:
a) complaining about Microsoft's perceived nefarious schemes to limit your freedom of choice or
b) getting the job done.

Whatever method you ultimately choose to attempt the recovery of your HP, I wish you success.
Last edited by Rebel on 30 Aug 2023, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 16:58
...games like "Sex Goddess of the Midnight Vampires" ...
You failed to provide a link for this game :innocent:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

jonwallace wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 21:45
ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 16:58
...games like "Sex Goddess of the Midnight Vampires" ...
You failed to provide a link for this game :innocent:
You missed the compulsory extra line...
"Asking for a friend!"
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:blackteeth:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 20:32
I will step away from this discussion Chris. ... Whatever method you ultimately choose to attempt the recovery of your HP, I wish you success.
Thank you John. I needed to be told this. I have been seeing new hurdles in every solution. I suspect, not helped by reading other web sites that complain about Microsoft's behaviour". Anyway, thank you for jolting me back into reality.
Cheers, Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you checked the Microsoft Store to see what backup programs are offered there?
Joe